Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saftey Alerter 2006 Removal?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

I have this on my computer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/...erter-2006.html . But I can not uninstall it in the Add or Remove Programs menu. I tells me that it has to restart my computer to uninstall it. I tried that once but it doesn't work. Could someone please tell me how to uninstall it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

Have you tried to remove it in Safe Mode?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Wyzrd

Wyzrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

No, I haven't. But I just seen this guide. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/ . And that is the exact problem I'm having so I am gonna try removing it that way.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

I totally misunderstood your question Wyzrd,I apologize.
Thought you wanted to remove the Virusburst Removal Tool from your computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Wyzrd

Wyzrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

Ahh, It is ok TMacK. I have another problem though but I'm not sure where to post it.

I got to step 10 in this guide. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/ But RougesCanFix tells me "!! BFU.exe is not present. !!"
Than it says, "Please report this to the helper on the forum."

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

If you get the message "BFU.exe is not present", download BFU.zip from here.
Unzip it and place BFU.exe in the C:\Program Files\roguescanfix folder. Then double-click Roguescanfix.bat again.
(Click here for information on how to do this if not sure. Win 9x/2000 users click here. A ZIP file requires an unzipping utility. If you need one, download 7zip (its free).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Wyzrd

Wyzrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Ok, new problem. I got to step 15. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/ . But on Step 16 that folder does not appear on my desktop in Safe Mode. What do I do now.

EDITED: Ok, nevermind I rembered how to do this after I asked.

Edited by Wyzrd, 29 October 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

Did you download smitRem.exe and save it to your desktop as instructed? Did you double-check and look on your desktop to ensure it was there? You may have saved it to another location or saved it while logged in as a different user than when logged in under safe mode. If that's the case its probably not showing on the desktop because its different than the one you originally downloaded and saved the file from.

#9 Wyzrd

Wyzrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

Yes, like I said in my post above I figured out my problem. It was because when I downloaded it I was logged in under a user. So I just put it in a shared folder on my hard drive and that solved the problem I had. And yes following this guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/ solved my problem. So thanks to everyone at BC for you help. :thumbsup:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Good job. Now you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent reinfection from an old restore point. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection , you may want to read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe", "How to Prevent Spyware" and "The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users