Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stinger1

Stinger1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

for christmas i would like to upgrade my computer again so that i can handle the next gen games.

first off I need to know what hardwere that I have will be fine for next years games, im not sure how to check what is currently in my computer atm since its been so long since iv looked that up, but i know that i have:

Windows XP home edition, version 2002
AMD Athlon ™ 65 processor 3700+
2.21 GHz, 1 GB of RAM

if any more info is required then please say how to search my hardwere for the more detailed things.

next ill need to know what exsactly makes a game run faster, i know a good amount but then again, its been about a year since iv even thought about most of it so i have already forgoten a quite a bit of what each part does, for example how does my graphics card effect how well my game runs? i remember there being a good site for this info but i have forgotten it, and if there is one that yall could give me that would be just as good, better yet summerizing each part would help best.

and then last i need to know what parts i need to make my game fit the needs of the next gen. (atleast all games untill 2008) without haveing to give a arm and a leg to pay it off. Oblivion came out a while back, not too long after i had custome made my first computer with the help of some friends. I had bought the game, waiting to see how well my computer would react to it, knowing that this was the bigest test for computer gaming for a while, so far WoW had run perfectly on it which alone made me very happy since i use to live with 1 FR per min. on my old computer (if thats correct, i only saw like 1 picture and then refroze every min or so) so i boot up oblivion, starts out just fine in the caves, then i go outside and start laging quite bad, i turn off grass completly and it stops the lag, yet still there is lag in some towns in certain areas. over all the computer costs 1000$, 1500 including new monitor, speakers etc. over all this was the only game that ever gave me trouble lag wise. since oblivion made me lag, that meens that the next gen games that im looking at (spore mainly) will give me quite some trouble.

over all i would like to spend only about 500$ on upgrades, 1000$ would be the huge limit, but i highly dont want it to cost this much. but then again im not sure whats all the best, buying the top type of hardwere, or buying a pretty good version and wait for what use to be the best version get cheaper. im not sure which would cost less money, buying the best so that i dont have to pay for both a part good enough for the present and then buying another one later on when the what use to be exspeinsive versions are now cheap, or just buying that exspeinsive version first off so i dont have to upgrade later on (untill say 2008 ofcourse) if that makes enough since, i tried my best.

if there are any programs that allow me to figure out what is required to fit the needs of a good computer for the next gen. please show me a link, if it costs something and is a fair amount ill buy it if its realy a good product.

one last thing, if this isnt the forum to ask these questions, like if its too technical then if possible guide me to a more detailed forum. thank you

Edited by jgweed, 29 October 2006 - 11:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

Well I would suggest getting a new vid card with DDR3, also a RAM upgrade couldn't hurt, maybe another gig.. I'm going to assume you have PCI Express, and here is a PCI Express card that should work pretty well for those new games: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...361&CatId=0 it's moderately priced, 512MB DDR3, SLI ready and all that (if that's important to you). Also here is a page full of cards to choose from, just pick whatever fits your price range and everything: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...t=3&Recs=10
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

I wouldn't suggest that card. The 512MB won't help all that much, as it won't be able to read and write it all. A 7600GT would be better. But you could always wait and see. The DirectX10 cards from nVidia are coming out very soon and ATi's DirectX10 cards shoul dcome in January of Febuary.

More memory doesn't mean better, alot of manufactuers slap on an extra chunk of memory to trick people into thinking its good. Really don't mean to bash you kbk but those cards you put are mid ranged cards with slaped on memory, ATi and nVidia put on as much memory as the card needs, and sometimes reduce it for pricing.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Stinger1

Stinger1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT is my video card, which i think is quite good, i can get yall more info if you could tell me how to search up it all

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

It's alright, I don't know much about vid cards, never really been into games much. My friend suggested that I get those cards for my new computer so I figured they would be good enough..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#6 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

OK, first off. You're not gonna be able to buy cards that'll play next-gen games by Christmas.

Dx10 cards will be used to play next-gen games and they're not gonna come out til next year and after Vista's release. And even then, the cheapest will set you back around $600.

I would suggest just saving up. And wait til late 2007 or early 2008. That'll be about when Vista and Dx10 cards hit the mainsteam.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

DX10 is the way to go for gamers. Then it's just a matter of piling on the resources to minimize the lag.

We'll have to see how Vista turns out as a gaming OS - IMO it could go either way because of the drastic changes in graphics that come along with Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

nVIDIA will launch their first DX10 cards in November.

Vista will be a slower gaming OS than XP. I heard that Microsoft's internal estimante was 10-15%. 98SE is still the faster gaming OS than XP, thanks to it being lighter. Of course, that's not the whole story. The improved driver model, DX10, the ability to unload the desktop during gaming will help Vista catch up to XP. Then of course there is the support for newer tech, and the better stability. With Vista Microsoft has moved the audio sub-system up to user space. Considering how many BSODs can be traced back to the audio sub-system this should help with stability, and even if it crashes it shouldn't take Windows with it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Stinger1

Stinger1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

basicly yall are saying that all i need to change is my video card? i highly dout thats the only thing that determines how much you lag in a game

#10 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

basicly yall are saying that all i need to change is my video card? i highly dout thats the only thing that determines how much you lag in a game

CPU and Ram effects it too, but your CPU is decent enough. But you can't get a Dx10 card, because...

1) It's too expensive for your budget
2) If you get it, you're gonna need to buy Vista
3) You're gonna need a new CPU because the current one will definately bottleneck it
4) And you're gonna need at least 2 GB of ram.

So basically. If you want to upgrade to Dx10, you'll have to upgrade your entire PC.

So... Dx10 Card ($500), Vista ($200-$300). New CPU plus Mobo ($500), new ram ($200).

Total cost, at least $1400.

Edited by Detox, 30 October 2006 - 08:03 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

nVidia will also debut the nForce 680i SLI chipset in November. If I can find a review on it, I'll probably end up with one (and a DX10 card).

Edited by usasma, 31 October 2006 - 09:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users