Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Issue - Too Much On Storage Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 masterpc

masterpc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

Hi!
I am new here, have been "lurking" for a week or so, & have been overwhelmed with the amount of information on here! I have been searching for an answer to this problem for awhile now, & have never been able to get to the bottom of it. Forgive if this has been covered before, but I could not find any reference to it by searching.

Well, I have this friend (no really) :D that has a recuring problem. 160 GB HD partitioned 4 ways; He keeps the video on the last partition, (F drive) which is 60 GB. The issue is that when this partition gets nearly full of video, he gets a "virtual memory" error.
If he deletes/moves video off of this part., making more room on it, the error goes away.

Sys. restore is only turned on for the "C" drive. I don't understand what is going on here, since the partition is basically just a storage area. Why would there be a virtual memory problem on just a storage drive, if the paging file is on "C"? The "C" drive is kept fairly clean, not maxed out. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance,
masterpc :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

I suspect what is happening is that there isn't sufficient free space on the F drive to perform operations with files (especially large ones).

Windows needs free space on the drive to manipulate files - and it's generally recommended that there be at least 15% free space on each drive to ensure that this doesn't happen (9 gB free in your friend's case).

But, since this is a generalization, you may even require more free space when working with very large files (such as videos).

I've seen hard drives so full that files couldn't be deleted. This required that the owner search the hard drive and order the search results by size - then start by deleting the smallest files first and working all the way up to the bigger files - a genuine, 4 square PITA!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 masterpc

masterpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for your insightful input. That makes sense about the drive being so full, & there not being sufficient free space on the F drive to perform operations with files. Along with keeping the free drive space a bit larger, do you feel that the page file/virtual memory issue is coming into play here as well?

If so, what about adding more RAM? Would that help out considerably?

His pc specs;
Win XP Home/SP2
1.1 Duron
1 GB SDRAM

thanks, masterpc :thumbsup:

Edited by masterpc, 29 October 2006 - 06:46 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

It depends on what you're doing with the PC. Frankly, for simple file copying, I think you'd be limited by other factors (in particular, the Duron (although a fine chip) is a bit long in the tooth for today's standards. I'd suggest checking into a Thunderbird that will fit in your mobo - this should pep up your performance a bit (I recall that the TBirds went up to 1.3 gHz - and can be overclocked with a lead pencil).

First, I'd check the pagefile usage by opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), then click on the Performance tab and keep an eye on the PF Usage - if it gets full, you'll need more RAM or pagefile. Also keep an eye on the Available Physical Memory usage - once again, if it gets full, you'll need more RAM or pagefile.

Adding more RAM will help - but not a whole heck of a lot. I went from 1 gB to 2 gB of RAM recently and haven't noticed any significant difference on my system. I'd suggest that, at a minimum you'd need a TBird processor - but for best results a new mobo and processor would do much better for you.

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2006 - 09:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users