Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ups Battery Backup Surge Protection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wisp928

wisp928

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:04 AM

I am in desperate need of some help.
I want to purchase a UPS battery backup surge protection device but I am lost when looking at all of my options. Between the VA rating, Watts rating, joule rating, and everything else I don't know what is best. I have looked at manufacture websites and they are not of much help. Actually they confuse me more in the fact that they state the product is a UPS - meaning it actually runs the computer off of the battery all the time, the unit is constantly charged by the wall outlet and then runs the computer so that your computer is never directly connected to the flow of electricity (correct) but in reality in must just use the battery if your electricity goes out or decreases power. I believe this because it says that it will detect these "brownouts" or low times of electricity and kick in the battery to fix them. I don't know...If someone could please help me it would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

I really do hate to admit this - but I just went to Best Buy and bought the one that seemed to fit my needs.

I've had no problems with it, until my FTP server went down (and I suspect that this was caused by hardware problems) and haven't tried to fix it yet.

I'd also be interested in some discussion on suggestions for UPS's. I'm considering buying one for the wife's business - but want to make sure I've got something reliable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

I am in desperate need of some help.
I want to purchase a UPS battery backup surge protection device but I am lost when looking at all of my options. Between the VA rating, Watts rating, joule rating, and everything else I don't know what is best. I have looked at manufacture websites and they are not of much help. Actually they confuse me more in the fact that they state the product is a UPS - [b]meaning it actually runs the computer off of the battery all the time[/b

The UPS has a filter system inside that prevents spikes, surges, and brownouts. It will maintain line voltage at all times, but will only run off of the battery in the event of a power outage.

To determine the proper size UPS you will need to know what the current draw of you system is, this will be expressed in either amps (amperes), or in Watts.(W) And you will also need to know the voltage (V) is, house hold voltage in the US is 110V, in other countries it runs between 230V and 240V. Once you know what the voltage and amps are you multiply these to find the Volt Amps (VA). Example, 110V X 5amps = 550VA

Some equipment will provide the current information is Watts, to convert Watts to Amps Davide the Watts by the line voltage. Example, 200W divided by 110V = 1.8amps.

The problem now is to find the total amount of watts your system uses, some equipment will have this information of the back of it, others you may need to contact the manufacturer to obtain it. Another way would be to plug you system into a power strip and then read the amperage with a amp-meter. If you plug a laser printer into the UPS you need to know that the running current amount listed may not include the load when the heater is active, it could be rated as a 2amp load and actually draw 5amps when the heater is active.

There is a good article if you would like to read more about this, you can find it here. In this article there is a paragraph titled What size UPS do I need?, and in this paragraph is a link to UPS Sizing Guide & Extended Run Time Calculator, you may find this useful also.

Edited by dc3, 29 October 2006 - 11:54 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users