Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Shut Down? Here's How To Do It Safely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

How many times have you clicked on your "Start" button, then clicked on the either the "Restart" button", or the "Shut Down" only to find out that you're still waiting for the computer to do as you commanded it to?

How many times have you tried the above, and it didn't work, and then you resorted to the 'ole CTRL+ALT+DEL, just to open the Task Manager and choose the Shutdown method from there, and that still didn't work?

If this has ever happened to you (I'm sure it has on many occasions), here is a 100% bonafide way to get your computer to shut down.

THIS WON'T WORK FOR THE DREADED BLUE SCREEN

1. Hit your start button and do as you normally do to shut down or restart, and when it doesn't respond you need to hit the CTRL+ALT+DEL, then go to the Task Manager.

2. Inside the Task Manager you'll see all of your processes running. If not, click the Processes tab to get to it.

3. Once you're in the Processes area, look at the column that says CPU and look for any processes that are showing activity, (meaning that the numbers in that column will fluctuate higher and lower). Click on at least 2-4 processes that are running and "kill" them. After you've killed at least a few or more of them, go back to your start button and try to log off again. Leave the Task Manager running AND on top, just incase you don't shut down as expected.

4. If your computer still doesn't log off or restart, repeat step no# 3. This time, kill a few processes that show NO movements in them. At least 3 or so will unlock/wakeup the computer.

NOTE: There are a few processes you don't want to mess with. They won't harm your computer at all, but you'll make the procedure harder on yourself... and those processes are:

taskmgr.exe It'll close out your taskbar at the bottom of your computer and you'll have no buttons at all.
System Idle Process If you kill this one, you may as well hit your power button because it'll simply idel the computer in a dormant state, and there will be nothing left to do but to hit the power button to shut it down.
explorer.exe I've noticed that killing this process will make it respond like the System Idle Process.

Other than those 3 main processes, you'll be fine.

Those 3 processes are the main ones not to kill at all.

Ohther than those mentioned processes, just go down the list and kill processes as you go, and then try the Start button again to shut down or so. All of this will take approximately 20 seconds or so.

The point to doing this is to eliminate the need of simply hitting the power button, which I've done countless times, and I'm certain you have too. This has been 1,000,000,000% effective for me every single time, and I don't hit my power button any more to reboot or shut down, (not unless I ever get the dreaded "blue screen"), and that's been about 2 years now.

The shut down problem is caused by many reasons, and not limited to:
installing software
visiting web sites
corrupt files / programs
hardware issues

and a host of other causes.

[UPDATE ADDED 3:20AM] I forgot to mention that after you reboot from a stuck shut down, it's best to let it log back on and load everything up, then do a normal reboot again.

The reason is, that after having to shut down from stuck/stubborn shut downs, not all processes will load when you reboot. Some of your normal programs may not load up with windows as they did before. That's the reason for the reboot after the 1st reboot. It'll clear it up real good.

Remember, take special care to NOT have to power down your computer by hitting your power button.

Edited by Walkman, 30 October 2006 - 04:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:57 AM

Walkman: This is great to know. That means when I am stuck in a freeze or lockdown -I can apply this tip and will enable shut down easily? I know mashing the power button is not a good practice, what happens(what stress am I causing the computer) when I force shut down by power button?? Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

Walkman: This is great to know. That means when I am stuck in a freeze or lockdown -I can apply this tip and will enable shut down easily? I know mashing the power button is not a good practice, what happens(what stress am I causing the computer) when I force shut down by power button?? Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention that after you reboot from a stuck shut down, it's best to let it log back on and load everything up, then do a normal reboot again.

The reason is, that after having to shut down from stuck/stubborn shut downs, not all processes will load when you reboot. Some of your normal programs may not load up with windows as they did before. That's the reason for the reboot after the 1st reboot. It'll clear it up real good.

#4 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:32 AM

Walkman: I sure have learned a lot from you. Thank you for all your invaluable assistance. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

Walkman: I sure have learned a lot from you. Thank you for all your invaluable assistance. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

It's my duty, and my pleasure...... You're quite welcome.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hi Walkman! Great work!

Might I suggest that you PM one of the moderators to see if this can be added as one of the How-To guides on this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/95/microsoft-windows-mini-guides/

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2006 - 11:34 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

Hi Walkman! Great work!

Might I suggest that you PM one of the moderators to see if this can be added as one of the How-To guides on this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/95/microsoft-windows-mini-guides/

Done deal.... Thanks for your suggestion and support.

#8 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:31 AM

Walkman : I agree with Usasma to enable a "How to Guide" on this important topic would be a great resource for all of us. Great job . Thanks again.. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

It might be worth adding a little comment that if this is done on a system that has just had new drivers or software installed it may not be the best thing to do if the machine becomes unresponsive. The reason I say this is that when the system has done a successful powerdown or restart it saves the config as the last known good configuration. If this is succesful it could make the last known good config a bad one and then you remove the ability to use the function. On the odd ocassion it can be helpful. Just thought I would add this just incase you find it useful to add to the How To.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#10 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

It might be worth adding a little comment that if this is done on a system that has just had new drivers or software installed it may not be the best thing to do if the machine becomes unresponsive. The reason I say this is that when the system has done a successful powerdown or restart it saves the config as the last known good configuration. If this is succesful it could make the last known good config a bad one and then you remove the ability to use the function. On the odd ocassion it can be helpful. Just thought I would add this just incase you find it useful to add to the How To.

I have yet to find that ever being the case. I see and understand your point, (a good one, I may add) but what you're saying would rank in a highly unlikely senario of that happeneing.

#11 THAZIT

THAZIT

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

Try this. From a derilect with no tech knowledge. By ACCIDENT ! Wouldn't shut off. Screen saver kept coming on. Went to DISPLAY, changed the time for screen saver. Back to start- hit shut down- SHAZAM- it worked! There's so much wrong with my XP PRO- cpu at 100, so slow-just sometimes-so many other little things. Trying BC remedies, and slowly making progress. Often had no choice but to unpower to shut down sometimes 4 times in a sitting. Electronics HATE ME. Sitting here listening to Songza on my tablet. it shut off, and restarted without me touching it! Splain that one Lucy!. Anyhow. JUST BY CHANGING THE SCREEN SAVER BY 1 MINUTE, IT HAS ALLOWED ME TO SHUT DOWN EVERY TIME. Try it- it sure cant hurt anything.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users