Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes + Quicktime Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Time

Justin Time

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

First off, let me tell you guys that I have seen this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/67515/error-cdes-when-trying-to-install-itunes-71/

I had all the same errors as him, but after doing all your guy's suggestions, and doing some research I have eliminated it down to this last error message as my only problem:

Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp\CLSID. Verify that you have suffecient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I have done ALL the crap it says to do in here also:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976

I have also seen this:

http://forums.itweek.co.uk/thread.jspa?thr...46&tstart=0

But I need quicktime itself, not an alternative.

I tried a system restore to as far back as I could go, and I used the Windows Install Cleanup on QuickTime and iTunes.

My computer is up to date, and I am gonna defrag soon even though it says I don't need to.

I tried to get the Windows Live OnceCare Safety Scanner, but I get this error message every time I try to install it:

Windows Live OneCare could not install because of a problem with the MSXML installation on your computer. Windows Live OneCare requires MSXML to install and run successfully. Please contact Windows Live OneCare Professional Support for assistance and give them the Error ID number below.
How to troubleshoot this issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error ID: 1278

If anyone can please help me solve this I would be the happiest man alive, you see I just bought an iPod nano, and it won't do anything without Itunes 7, and I need Quicktime to get that, and well, as you can see I can't install the new Quicktime for some reason. Not even when I try to download Quicktime without iTunes.

I have run out of I deas and I have no idea what to do with that error message so can someone please help?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 October 2006 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hi Justin Time, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
As the error indicates, it's a permission issue with that specific key in the registry.
Click Start>Run and type "regedit" (no quotes) in the run dialog box and hit your enter key to open the registry. Navigate to the clsid key given in the error, right click it and select 'permissions" from the list.
Make sure "Full Control" and "Read" are selected for the account type you are using listed on the security tab and click OK. Exit the registry and try again.

Edited by HitSquad, 29 October 2006 - 07:31 AM.

#3 Justin Time

Justin Time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Yes, I went to the key and it turned out my user name wasn't even on there. So I had to go to my mom's profile, who is another administrator, and from there enter in my name and give it full permissions. While I was at it I did that for every QuickTime thing in there, and then gave all administrators those priviledges too.

I think the problme was either I have been promoted and demoted from administrator, or because I have deleted and remade my profile before.

Either way, it worked and I am so god damn happy, you have made my day, no more like my month! Thank you!!

#4 Bumperwac

Bumperwac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

HELP! I'm having a similar problem-but the registry editor fix suggestion does not work. I can get down to
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.....QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp...but that's as far I can go. I cannot get to the \CSLID level. When I click on "QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp" I get a "cannot open message-error while opening key"

I'm at the end of my rope-I have a 12 year old with a new Nano who's moping as I type this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#5 Tobejuan

Tobejuan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:51 AM

I had the same problem installing Itunes and Quicktime. Nothing seemed to work. I finally signed in as administrator, created a new administrator, then rebooted using the new administrator name. I was able to install Itunes just fine. It runs regardless of which name I sign in as. So far so good. Tobejuan

#6 GeneralHooHa

GeneralHooHa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

Yes, I went to the key and it turned out my user name wasn't even on there. So I had to go to my mom's profile, who is another administrator, and from there enter in my name and give it full permissions. While I was at it I did that for every QuickTime thing in there, and then gave all administrators those priviledges too.

I think the problme was either I have been promoted and demoted from administrator, or because I have deleted and remade my profile before.

Either way, it worked and I am so god damn happy, you have made my day, no more like my month! Thank you!!

I am having the exact same problem as you, but I am not very advanced in registry. How exactly do you do that?

#7 Hannahelizabeth

Hannahelizabeth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

I'm having the same problem. And I did the thing with the regedit. And whin I got the the cdsid thing, it said that the acces was denied. Is there anyother way? Please help me.

#8 guynumber1

guynumber1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ok I had the same problems as described and this seems to work for me:

1. Goto regedit (Start > run > type "regedit")
2. Find the key thats giving you problems (I just did a find for quicktime until I found the problem key)
3. Right Click > Permissions > Advanced > Owner Tab > Click the User Name > Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" > Click OK (not apply, you will get an error saying it cannot change owner but it will drop you back to the main permissions window)
4. Click Advanced again > in permissions tab click > check "inherit from parent..." > Hit OK

* You should see all the users listed now and you can now click ok. I know every machine has its own different problems so you may still have issues. One of the other things I did was a create a new Admin user and log in under that user although I dont know if that really makes a difference as long as you are logged in as an Admin.

Hope that helped.

Edited by guynumber1, 15 November 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#9 brennenpkt

brennenpkt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

I have had the same problem with being unable to access the registry key. In order to fix it I just ended up logging in under a different administrator account. I was then able to make changes to the keys as well as run the Itunes installation. Itunes just does not seem to like Windows User Accounts. I know I have had to do this in order to get Itunes to recognize Ipods.

#10 Donut0

Donut0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

I was having this same problem due to un-installing my old video card that was running with nDvDecorder and upon installing had this problem, I had sufficient access to the key but couldnt seem to get it to work. If anyone else is have this same problem DELETE THE REGISTRY VALUE COMPLETELY and reinstall quicktime from scratch. That has worked on 3 different machines for me now.

Good Luck

-Donut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users