Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Heatsink And Fan Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

I'm going to purchase socket 939 Athlon 64 3200+ which doesn't come with a fan and heatsink, and what I would like to know is if my fan and heatsink from my old T-bird will fit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

IMHO, If your'e going new, I would recommend getting new fan and heat sink. Why have something old to cool down that expensive new chip?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:47 AM

No, the retail HSF you get with the CPU are made to fit only on the one socket you can use the CPU on. The base the HSF sits on on a Socket a motherboard is smaller than the base on a Socket 939 motherboard.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the response guys. The T-bird died on my good puter and has given me the excuse to make a new build, unfortunately money is a little tight at the moment so I was trying to cut corners. I was looking at spending about thirty dollars on a HSF, but realized that I could afford another 512MB of RAM if I could use my old HSF from the T-bird.

Btw Mr Alpha, the motherboard and CPU combo doesn't come with a fan, otherwise I would use the one that comes with it. As for the HSF fitting only the one CPU, there are HSFs that are advertised to fit multiple processors, that is why I was trying to find out if my old one would be compatible. Example...

Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail

Compatibility: Intel P4 LGA775, P4 478 Prescott FMB1.5; AMD Athlon 64 / Athlon 64 FX , Athlon XP up to 3400+, Sempron up to 3400+

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

Yes, aftermarket HSFs usually are compatible with several different socket designs with the help of some extra metal. I was talking about the HSF you get with the processor, which isn't an aftermarket HSF.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

While it's good to save money - this could hose your new processor! How's about buying a retail processor rather than an OEM? They usually come with a heatsink and fan - so it may be less expensive that way.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

While it's good to save money - this could hose your new processor! How's about buying a retail processor rather than an OEM? They usually come with a heatsink and fan - so it may be less expensive that way.

It's a combo at Tiger Direct, Biostar TForce6100-939 NVIDIA Socket 939 MicroATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz OEM Processor $129.00 after rebate. This is the best bang for the buck that I could find at the moment. If you know of something better, I'm all ears, err...eyes. :thumbsup:

As for hosing my processor, as long as you have a heatsink and fan that is mated to properly conduct thermal convection it will do it's job. I was just wanting to know if the latch would fit the new processor.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:40 AM

Generally the combo deals from TigerDirect will include a cooling fan and heatsink.

There are ways for a determined person to modify a heatsink to fit another socket - that's why there's no specific answer. And even if you did manage to make it fit, there's no assurance that the "jury-rig" will hold permanently.
So, the premise is that modifying a heatsink that wasn't intended for the processor will probably void the warranty on the processor - and could cause it to fry unexpectedly.

So, no, it probably won't latch on due to the different sockets. We'd have to know the exact make and model of the heatsink/fan combo on the TBird to give a better opinion.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

usasma,

If you look at the current motherboard and CPU combos offered at Tiger Direct you will find that most of them do not come with a HSF.

I have no desire to modify the existing HSF for the new CPU, it isn't worth the time no matter how frugal you are. All I was asking was if the HSF that came with the T-bird (socket 462) would fit my new Athon (socket 939), and that information was specific enough that I was told unequivically by three different people at another site that it would not fit.

I would rather spend my time fishing rather than try to modify a HSF assembly that I could purchase new for as little as five bucks.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

Sounds like we're all on the same sheet of music - just going about it differently.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

Sounds like we're all on the same sheet of music - just going about it differently.

Don't they call that jazz? :thumbsup:

I've solved the problem in any case, I just ordered a Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 socket 939 motherboard and a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor with fan. :flowers: I also ordered two Crucial 512MB RAM modules. The total plus shipping is $281.86. Christmas comes early this year!

This is going into my old case with my 300W Antec PSU, a one year old Maxtor 200GB HDD, and my NEC3550A DVD/RW, Sony FDD, and US Robotics modem. The new motherboard has better onboard graphics and sound than the relics that I was using before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users