Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winpfind Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pbmac

pbmac

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hi,
I was asked to download and run WinPFind in an effort to resolve a trojan issue I'm having.
The trojan problem is close to being sorted out, however, I was never able to run WinPFind completely. It gets to the point in the scan where it is "scanning registry" and then it hangs, no hard drive activity. It does produce a small ( incomplete pattern log ) text file.
I've also seen on some sites, reference to an "up level" WinPFind exe, "WinPFind2"? Would this be any different?
Thanks for your time,
pbmac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hello pbmac

Who asked you to download and run WinPFind? What problems are you having that you need to use it? This is an advanced tool normally used by experts investigating/removing malware infections in the Hijackthis forum. WinPFind2 is a newer version. You should not be following instructions provided to someone else if that's where you found the information on these tools. Those instructions were most likely posted by a forum staff expert to fix that particular members problems, NOT YOURS. Using someone else's fix instructions could lead to serious problems with your operating system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Dear Quietman7,
I started to try and solve a trojan problem on another forum, that's where I was asked to download WinPFind, as well as have someone more qualified than my self, suggest actions.
I came here in an effort to help solve the problem as to why WinPFind hangs during the scanning registry section of it's scan. No one there has been able to offer any suggestions. If I'm in the wrong place for that, then I apologzie, and can you please offer another option for me?
Thanks for your time,
pbmac

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

I started to try and solve a trojan problem on another forum,...

IMO its not a good practice for someone to advise you to download an advanced tool and then direct you to go elsewhere for help with using it.

OldTimer created this tool and works here. I will let him know about the "hanging" problem.

Why type of trojan problem are you having? Do you know the name of this trojan and what program is identifying it.

#5 pbmac

pbmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

Sorry for making it sound like someone told me to download WinPFind, THEN come here for help with it, that's not the case.
I was having difficulty getting someone in the other forum to investigate the problem with the hanging, so, knowing the download for WinPFind originated here, I came here to look for some help, thats all!
pbmac

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Apology noted. I can understand your frustration but I would think that its more important to investigate and eliminate your malware problem than why a tool you don't understand is not working. It may or may not be related to malware.

Can you provide any further information about the trojan problem so we can concentrate on that?

#7 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hi pbmac. Let's try something. Start WinPFind2 and click on the Registry tab. Then click on the Scan Registry button. When the scan starts, just to the right of the button it will display what section of the registry is being scanned. If the program hangs , note what section is displayed and then go back to the Configuration tab and remove that section from the Registry Options group by removing the checkmark in the checkbox in front of that section. Now retry the scan.

Post back here and let me know which section(s) the scan is stopping on.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users