Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Hangs When Deleting Selection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tagman

tagman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

I was following the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log." I had an older version of Ad-Aware that wouldn't update with the latest build from the Lavasoft site, so I uninstalled Ad-Aware, re-downloaded and re-installed.

The first run of Ad-Aware completed a full scan, but hung when deleting the selections (after quarantining). I then went ahead and ran Spybot, and it seemed to work. It reported some files couldn't be deleted until a reboot, so I did that. After it finished the second scan, it reported all clean.

I then tried Ad-Aware again. It completed the scan, but hung again when deleting the selections. I did notice that it reported some of the same malware that Spybot was supposed to have removed (e.g., BookedSpace). I closed it and re-opened it and it reports the following statistics:
Definitions file: SE1R129 26.10.2006
Objects removed total 0
Total Ad-Aware scans 6
Objects in ignore list 0
Objects quarantined 362

I am running Win98 SE, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Build 1.06r1.

Any help on how to get Ad-Aware to complete the removal?

Thanks,

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hello tagman

Did you try doing a scan in "SAFE MODE"?

You might also want to review the following pinned topics at Lavasoft Support Forums > FAQ's > Ad-Aware SE:
Why does Ad-Aware freeze during a scan?
Ad-Aware becomes unresponsive during a file system scan
During An Ad-aware Scan, My Computer Restarts

Also download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
alternate site
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe to install and use the default settings for installation.
  • Run SUPERAntiSypware and update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates".
  • When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
  • There are three scanning options available. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Place a checkmark next to items you wish to remove/quarantine and Click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program.
Note: If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tagman

tagman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, quietman.

I had tried the pinned articles, but they either had no effect or did not apply. Silly me, I didn't try it in safe mode. I think at that point my frustration level was too high.

Anyway, Ad-Aware did complete in safe mode. Now I'm going to try the SuperAntiSpyware you referenced.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

Regarding running scans in safe mode as you asked here. The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Hackers know this so they will write malware that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using Safe Mode reduces the number of modules requesting files to only the essentials to make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files.

As you already noted, malware may be found in files/folders while logged in as a different user so its a good idea to log in under each one and do your scans.

rundll32 errors could be the result of malware removal attempts or other issues. We would need more specific information. However, your going to post a hijackthis log so these errors can be dealt with at that time.

#5 tagman

tagman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

My apologies for posting the questions in the wrong place.

I think I knew the answer about scanning in safe mode vs. user mode, but wanted some confirmation. I am aware of the issues about trying to delete files that are in use. It seems I should do detection and run scans while in user mode, and then go to safe mode when protected files are encountered. This means 6 cycles in my case. But, will scans in safe mode find those user-specific malwares you mentioned? If it will, then the answer should be just to do everything in safe mode and get it all at once.

Thanks,

Tim

#6 tagman

tagman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Well, don't that beat all!

While posting my last reply about the questions, SuperAntiSpyware finished. Everything looked clean for the default "user" (I had clicked Cancel at the Windows Login). I then checked all other users with the Task Manager, and everything looked clean. There were no wierd processes running.

I'm still getting the rundll32 errors, but I'll reinstall it to see if that clears up. Also, I'm going to go ahead and post a Hijack log on the HijackThis forum to see if everything is in fact cleaned up.

Scans used to this point:
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Housecall (tried, but kept getting hijacked by Qwickfind)
Panda AntiVirus
BitDefender (tried, but link was broken?)
SuperAntiSpyware

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

Don't forget to give a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information.

Please be patient after posting your log. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

Also, after posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and complicate the malware removal process.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users