Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Speed Up The Start Up After The Computer Is Turned On?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ndntank

ndntank

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I just need to turn some applications off when I turn the computer on but I don't know where to look. I have a HP pavillion, Pent 4, 1.5 gig ram... any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silverbow

Silverbow

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

The Microsoft System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) tells Windows what programs to start on boot up. But when Windows slows down, those programs are prime suspects. They eat up memory resources. Reducing the number of programs that launch when you start your computer is a good way to speed up your system (and possibly cure some problems). There are two startup areas that are easily accessible. First,

§ Click Start > Programs > Startup This will give you a list of programs that start when you turn on your PC.
§ Right click > Delete the programs that you do not want to start with Windows. This deletes the automatic startup ONLY. It does not delete the program.

You’re not done yet. To see what is running when Windows boots,

§ Click Start > Run.
§ Enter msconfig and click OK.
§ Select the Startup tab. Clear anything you don't think you need. (see note below)
* Restart. After boot up, you'll get a message about the System
configuration utility. Check the box to not show the message again.

Windows 98 and ME include programs needed by Windows in MSConfig. So check before you clear anything. Windows XP does not include critical services in MSConfig.

EDITED TO ADD: If you come across something listed in the startup list, and you're
not sure what it is, try checking for it here

Edited by Silverbow, 28 October 2006 - 04:34 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

It is better to control the startup of each program by using the settings in each program.. You can also do this with numerous security programs. One that I use and has many other uses is WinPatrol. After installing, just click on the "startup programs" tab and highlight the program you don't want to start at startup and select the disable button. WinPatrol is a free program. It also has a paid version but you don't need it to control startups.
http://www.winpatrol.com/

Edited by buddy215, 28 October 2006 - 04:31 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Stopping unnecessary programs from starting with Windows and running in the background is part of what causes long boot times but there are other reasons for excessive boot times and slow running in general as well.

To start with:

Take advantage of Microsoft's Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

After finishing the scan, reboot, and follow the instructions here:

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

You can use either of the methods mentioned in the previous two posts, msconfig, which is sometimes very confusing, or Winpatrol, or you can use the ap that I recommend because it is easier to use and you are less likely to make mistakes using it as it better identifies the entries in the startup menu so you are less likely to stop any you should not stop.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users