Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 paleeagle

paleeagle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

Ok so Installing RAM is easy.

Trouble is I am a little slow on the uptake. I have been trying to get my head around it all now for a day so I can buy a new 1GB stick of Memory to add to my 512MB I already have. But with all the MHz and PC2700 blah blah blah my head is aching. So can someone please HELP!!!!

What MHz do i need etc and all the info i need to buy a new stick online.
I know next to nothing about what you guys might need to tell me what i need, so here is as much info as I can find about my system.

Intel D845EBG2
Maximum Memory Capacity 2048MB
Current 512MB
Avaliable slots 1
Number of banks 2
Dual Channel Support : No
CPU manufacturer: Genuineintel
CPU family- intel pentium 4 2.80ghz, model 2, stepping 7
CPU speed 2800Mhz
Current memory : DDR PC2300 (DDR266)
System Bus Speed 533MHz
System Memory Speed 266MHz

I have been told DDR PC3200/2700 and 4000 would work but I dont understand the differences. I am going to add the new memory to my existing one.

Any help on this matter will be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

The differences (from what I understand) are that they opperate at different speeds. The more MHz you have the faster the RAM can be accessed. I would go with the same MHz you have in it now (PC3200), because, if I remember right, if you have more than 1 stick you need to have them at least at the same MHz..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

Crucial will tell you all the options you have. When it comes to memory, you can't beat it.
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/...;memtype=CHOOSE
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

Well I don't really know much about this stuff, but I'll try to help. You were probably told you can use pc 2700 and 3200 because these are different types of ddr ram. I would suggest still getting ram that runs at 266 mhz (pc2100) just to be on the safe side. Oh and the Mhz value is the speed the ram runs at, but I guess that doesn't make that much of a difference. Hopefully someone who knows more about this stuff will help you. :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

Remove your old stick and look what the details are on it and get a gig stick with the same spec, you cant go wrong then. www.ebuyer.com have been good for me in the past with prices and delivery.

#6 paleeagle

paleeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:35 AM

So silly question. But my system memory speed of 266MHz is the maximum that the memory can run at. So there is little or no point in getting a memory stick with say 400MHz for example. Sorry about the lame questions but I am stuggling to understand.

Have looked on my memory stick and there is no sticky lable with the specs. Got most of my info from Crucial.com ( they were a great help) but it is the MHz i am stuggling to understand and they couldnt tell me that.

You guys are being a great help though.

Also it is ok to mix and match my current DDR PC2300 with other types? Say PC2700 aslong and the MHZ are the same and they are both DDR?? is that right? do they have to be in any order in the slots?

Many thanks You guys

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

Here's a link to the Intel FAQ's for your mobo - just scroll down to the memory section: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/cs-008635.htm

FWIW - I like using the Crucial memory configurator for several reasons:
1) They give a lifetime warranty (so, in effect, the configurator is guarantee'd to be correct)
2) They have reasonable prices
3) They include installation instructions with each memory shipment
4) Their service and support is fantastic. I sent memory to my son - which was lost by UPS. They resent the memory immediately - before the UPS investigation was done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

Also it is ok to mix and match my current DDR PC2300 with other types? Say PC2700 aslong and the MHZ are the same and they are both DDR?? is that right? do they have to be in any order in the slots?

I don't think so. I'd have to check but in this hardware class I'm taking I am pretty sure we learned that you can't mix RAM, because it will just recognize the higher frequency RAM and not the lower. I might be wrong, but I'll look it up tommorow and let ya know for sure..

#9 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think that you can put in the higher speed ram but it will only be as fast as the slowest that you have installed.

#10 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

I think that you can put in the higher speed ram but it will only be as fast as the slowest that you have installed.

Yeah, that's right! So he would probably just be better off buying the slower speed, or upgrading both..

#11 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

That's correct, lets sya your motherboard can use PC2700 and PC3200, and there's currently 1, 512MB stick installed, and then you decided to put in another 512MB stick, but it's PC 3200, the PC3200 will underclock to the PC2700's speed.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:11 AM

You'll have to compare the specification set forth in the motherboard manual with the specifications for both sets of RAM to get an idea if this will work.

Generally most common stuff will work - but there are enough inconsistencies that it's advisable to check it out first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users