Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure What Is Wrong With My Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 UncleJohnsDawg

UncleJohnsDawg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

First time user of this forum here.

I am helping someone troubleshoot their computer. The registration is under this person's name and he is the owner of this computer. The owner is not well versed in troubleshooting his PC and I am only an average-level user myself.

The owner describes the following problems happening with his computer:
- The computer has become very slow (30-60 seconds to open an application).
- Icons are occasionally disappearing and requires a restart to bring them back.
- He is often unable to shut down his computer via "Start" - "Shut down" and says he usually has to shut off power and restart.
- He has had several unexpected pop-ups...the most common being the "we have found a virus on your computer and you can buy this program to resolve" type ad.

Any suggestions on where to start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

Follow the steps outlined in the slow computer checklist:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Begin with "uncontrolled applications", proceed to the steps in "lack of maintenance," then review the steps in the Malware section.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 UncleJohnsDawg

UncleJohnsDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'm looking at the Step 4 of the slow computer checklist. I can't recall the process for checking the startup database. How do I do that?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Since you have posted a HJT Log I strongly suggest you do not make ANY changes to your system until you have been cleared by the HJT who assists you. Please be patient as our HJT Techs are all volunteers. You can find your HJT Log via this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70009/slow-computer-not-sure-whats-wrong/

I will close this thread due to the HJT Log being posted. Once you have been cleared by the HJT Tech and if you still have problems, you may PM one of the staff to reopen this thread.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users