Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hey guys,

Been awhile since i posted, but you guys always know what the best way to solve a problem is.

I'm trying to copy a Hard drive content from one disk to another (larger size)...I've tried using Norton Ghost 9 and norton ghost 10..

(old hd is FAT32 drive, new hd was unformatted) Old HD is set to master, new one is slave. tried to change jumper settings and unplug old one after copy, but unsuccessfull

Both copy the files, however it is not a stable bootable copy.

Are there any programs out there that would copy this correctly?.or am i just doing this wrong.

Any help or comments would be helpful,

thanks and have a great halloween

adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Are you trying to move an Operating System? If so, this article might help: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

Well my original thought was to "clone" the entire Hard drive. Basically i wanted to take everything that was on the smaller hard drive...and copy it onto the new, larger Hard drive within the same tower.

#4 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hi, Adam.
You can use Acronis Migrate Easy to accomplish your task. It will just clone your smaller hdd's data to bigger one.

Edited by Kevin_D, 30 October 2006 - 02:45 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Do you want to use the new hard drive as the primary drive? (that way you can format the old drive and use it for other purposes)

If so, follow the directions on the Moving XP link. Since you're just moving the hard drive, it should go smoothly.

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2006 - 11:45 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users