Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mazeltov

mazeltov

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

When I woke up this morning and tried to log on, I discovered that after inputting my password, that Windows failed to open my desktop properly. I have my backround, but no GUI. I see two explorer.exe processes in my process list, but still no GUI. Please help me fix this issue :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

Have you tried to reboot the computer?

If you can get it to boot, use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a working condition.

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before the problem began.

#3 mazeltov

mazeltov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:53 AM

I tried to system restore but it said this has been disabled by group privileges or somethign to that effect.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

1) Kill one of the explorer.exe processes in Task Manager (I'd suggest the one that's using the most memory). Does your desktop return?

2) If not, kill the next one and see if explorer.exe respawns itself and restores your desktop.

3) Use this free, online scan to check the integrity of your system: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Is your computer part of a domain, IE a business network?

If it is a stand-alone pc there should be no group policy disabling it.

Make sure you have tried to turn it on.

#6 mazeltov

mazeltov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

1) Kill one of the explorer.exe processes in Task Manager (I'd suggest the one that's using the most memory). Does your desktop return?

2) If not, kill the next one and see if explorer.exe respawns itself and restores your desktop.

3) Use this free, online scan to check the integrity of your system: http://safety.live.com/

I tried killing the process, but no more processes came to replace it. (there was only one process) Also I tried running the scan, but after I installed it, I click on run scan, but nothing happened. I followed the instructions on the site involving activex controls, and making sure I was using IE.

Is your computer part of a domain, IE a business network?

If it is a stand-alone pc there should be no group policy disabling it.

Make sure you have tried to turn it on.

It is part of a wired network in my house. I don't know if that's considered a business network or not :/. As for group Policy, where would I look to turn that on.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

From Windows XP Pro Help:

Customizing your computer using Group PolicyWindows XP provides a number of ways to customize your computer. Using items in Control Panel, you can change the way your desktop looks, change the sounds associated with program events, and change the look and speed of your mouse pointer.

Another way to customize your computer is by using Group Policy. In a network domain environment, administrators use Group Policy to customize and configure computers on the network. In an environment where you have one stand-alone computer or several computers joined in a workgroup, you can still use Group Policy to customize your computer.

To open Group Policy

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type gpedit.msc and then click OK.
When Group Policy opens, you will see two options in Local Computer Policy: Computer Configuration and User Configuration. Computer Configuration allows you to set policies that apply to your computer, regardless of who logs on. User Configuration allows you to set policies that apply to each user who logs on to the computer.

Using Group Policy on your computer

You can customize your desktop environment by enabling or disabling different policy settings. For example, you can remove icons from your desktop, customize the Start menu, and simplify the Control Panel using Group Policy. You can also add scripts that will run on your computer when it starts up or shuts down and when users log on or log off, and you can even configure Internet Explorer.

The following table lists the four main areas in which you can set policies to customize your computer:

For information about setting Group Policies for: See Administrative Help Templates Help for:
Windows XP operating system Windows XP
Windows Media Player Windows Media Player
Internet Explorer Internet Explorer
NetMeeting NetMeeting

Using Group Policy when your computer is joined to a network domain

If your computer is part of a corporate network, it is possible that the network administrator will configure your computer using these features of Group Policy. The Group Policy settings applied by your network administrator take precedence over any of the Group Policy settings you have configured on your computer.

You can find more information about the Group Policy settings that have been applied to your computer in Help and Support Center. (start/help and support)

To open Help and Support Center to view policy information

Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
Under Pick a task, click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
In Tools Center, click Advanced System Information.
In Advanced System Information, click View policy information.
Notes

For more information about using Group Policy to define policy settings that are applied to computers and computer users, see Group Policy Help.
For more information about using Group Policy to define security settings that are applied to computers and computer users, see Local Security Help.
You must be an administrator to add Group Policy to a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and to use Group Policy to customize settings on your computer.

#8 mazeltov

mazeltov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

Type gpedit.msc and then click OK.

How would I do this using only the Task Manager?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

I would seriously suggest getting some sort of antivirus and antispyware scan done on your system. The multiple respawning of explorer.exe is a concern.

Here's a link to a "cloak" for AdAware that may allow it to run (it's about 2 years old now): http://www.lavasoftnews.com/theeye/i17/a4.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 mazeltov

mazeltov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

I ran adaware using that cloak, and most of the problems were deleted, however it said that WINDOWS/system32/checkdsk could not be repaired, and there were abotu 15 files with this name. Immediately hfter removing all teh other threats, my computer locked up, and froze. I was able to check my processes though, and saw the drwatson32 in my processes, which I've known is usually a bad thing.

I am trying to run adaware again to see if there is a way to get rid of those files that it could nto destroy. Also this may be importent, but when I ran spybot search and destroy, the computer completely turned off when the scan was finished.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

It's most likely malware related. The Dr Watson thing is an error logging tool that can be used to debug system crashes (which the malware is causing).

Have you tried running any of the scans after the AdAware cloak thing? Any success?

Can you run HiJackThis? If so, I'd suggest posting your log here (there's also instructions there on the use of HiJackThis): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#12 mazeltov

mazeltov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

I ran Adaware after using the cloak, with some sucess, it was able to delete most problems, but the chkdsk thing was still a problem. Also, I have gotten a hijackthis log, and posted it on another site, didn't really there was an area for that on this forum. I will post it here as soon as I can get the infected computer. Another thing my dad and I noticed was that there was an iexplorer.exe process running and taking up 50% of the memory, when I didn't even have IE open, and there were about 10 processes called svchost running simultaneously. Not sure if that matters, but it looked fishy.

Thank you for all the help and quick responses. :thumbsup:

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

iexplore.exe is a legitimate process (if it's in the proper location) - other variations are most likely malware.

svchost.exe is a process that other processes use to "run as a service" - these are mostly legitimate, but can be used by malware. 10 of them is a lot (I've got 6 running on my system) though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users