Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error: Windows32\system32\config\system At Start Up On Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Felicity

Felicity

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hello,

My (pensioner) dad's Dell computer is showing the error message

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original set up cd-rom. Select "R" at the first screen to start repair"

BEFORE this message appears, a brief message appears saying "Auto-repair in progress" then disappears to be replaced by above error message.

I'm not near the computer but he says it is a black screen with white writing on. Only this error message, nothing else.

He has had the computer for about 6 months with no problems, and was using it last night, when it was functioning as normal.

Thank you

Edited by Felicity, 28 October 2006 - 05:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

If he's able to get on the web, the first step is to perform a free, online scan at this address: http://safety.live.com/ (if not, then do it later)

Next is to see if he's able to boot into Safe Mode (preferably with Networking Support) by repeatedly tapping the F8 key just as the Windows logo starts to show that Windows is booting (once again, this is if he's able to do it).

If not, you'll have to coach him through using his recovery CD to restore the system. The method will depend on the particular Dell model.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Did he get a Windows XP CD from Dell?
He should have, and then a repair install would be possible without loss of all data that using the Dell Restore would do.

Some Dell computers come with software that will create a Windows XP cd:

1. Run the Dell™ OS Recovery Utility
The Dell OS Recovery Utility allows the creation of ONE operating system CD. This means that you can make one Windows® CD for backup purposes.

NOTE: If you have not created your backup CD you should take the time to create the CD and store it in a safe place now. If you wait until you may need it, it will be too late!

You will need a blank CD-R disc and a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed on your Dell computer to complete the steps detailed in the instructions at the link below.

Instructions for making the Windows XP CD can be found here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1091713

What if the Dell Operating System Recovery Utility fails or wasn't installed by Dell?

Answer - Email or Chat with Dell. Explain your situation and the Dell representative should issue you the Windows CD.

Question - Where can I get the DMX CD?
Answer - Email or Chat with Dell. Explain your situation and the Dell representative will issue whatever software CDs (Dell Media Experience, Power DVD, Sonic MyDVD, etc.) you might need.

* Chat with USA Hardware Support
Click "Chat With Hardware Support"
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

* Email USA Hardware Support
https://support.dell.com/support/supportreq...=true&s=dhs

* USA Hardware Support 1-800-624-9896

#4 Felicity

Felicity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Hi there,

thank you for your quick replies.

We'll try opening in Safe Mode, and I'll also get him to talk to Dell and we'll see if we can fix via recovery that way.

We'll let you know how it goes.....

Kind Regards

Felicity

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

Actually, having him talk to Dell is probably the best way - they're experienced with doing this, they deal with all sorts of customers every day, and the Tier 1 techs generally work from a script - so there's not much that can go wrong.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users