Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Computer Monitors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:43 AM

I don't know if this is the right forum, but does anyone have any good tips on how to safely and effectively clean monitors? What products or methods do you use for yours and how well does it work? Thanks.
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:06 AM

If your talking about the screen, I use Windex, after I turn off the monitor. I have a LCD monitor so I don't have to worry about the inside.
Maybe someone else knows how to clean that safely.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

I've got vision problems - so I just squint around the dirt! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I think that any decent glass cleaner that's safe for plastic also would be sufficient. General cleaning theory holds that you need a lot of liquid to safely float the dirt particles off of the screen - but too much liquid will destroy the monitor.

I'd settle for a soft, microfiber type cloth and a good quality glass/plastic cleaner - and just keep the rubbing and polishing to a minimum.

Edited by usasma, 28 October 2006 - 07:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

While it is not necessary to turn the monitor off to clean it, this can be a good idea. When the monitor is off, you can see the smudges and dirt better, and you can be sure that you wonít burn out any electrical components if water or cleaning liquid is inadvertently dripped onto or into the monitor. By the way, if liquid is ever dripped onto a monitor, you should turn it off immediately and allow it to dry completely before turning it back on.

CRTs

Those big chunky CRT monitors have glass screen which are easily cleaned. The important thing to remember is that you donít ever want to spray any liquid directly on the screen. Instead, spray the cloth with water or a mild window cleaning solution then wipe the screen. You can use the same damp cloth to clean the entire monitor case, as well. If you prefer, you can also use moistened paper towels to clean CRT monitors, You will be only cleaning the outside of the monitor case and screen. Never open the monitor casing which contain electric voltage that can cause a shock.

Flat Panel LCDs

LCD monitors are often called flat panel monitors because they are flat and thin. These are the types of screens that are used in most laptop computers, and they are also becoming very popular for desktop computers. LCD screens are softer than CRT glass screens, so they require some extra tender loving care. Keep your fingers and sharp objects away from these screens since they are susceptible to damage and scratches.

Use a soft dry cotton cloth to remove fingerprints and smudges from the screen. If this does not completely remove the dirt and splotches, use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the cleaning cloth that has been dampened with water. (A small amount of vinegar can be substituted for the isopropyl alcohol.) Again, spray the liquid on the cloth and never directly onto the screen. Do not use paper towels on an LCD screen as they can scratch the screen. Never use ammonia, ammonia-based cleaners, or strong cleaners which can cause the surface to yellow and become brittle.

It is good to have a special clean cloth that is dedicated to use on the LCD screen. Donít pick up any old rag, as dirt particles in the rag can scratch the surface of the screen. Special LCD cleaning cloths are available and can be an excellent investment.

The best cleaning method is to stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:20 AM

Uhmmm, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use any kind of alchohol on LCD screens, as it can ruin the protective coating. That's what my manufactuer said.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:57 AM

I used alcohol prep pads on my LCD monitor but the smudges aren't going away. I can still see spots of sneeze smudges.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:36 AM

I used alcohol prep pads on my LCD monitor but the smudges aren't going away. I can still see spots of sneeze smudges.

TMI (Too Much Information) :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

Actually, this post of mine was probably "over the edge" of common decency (not to mention gross and revolting) - so I've engaged in self-censorship and have removed it. :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 29 October 2006 - 09:29 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:15 AM

TMI (Too Much Information) :thumbsup:

Probably, but whatever the residue smudges are aren't going away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users