Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FrancineZ

FrancineZ

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:32 PM

The keyboard is concidered hardware, right?

Anyway, my "E" button pops off. Obviously, I can still use it, so it isn't broken, but the actual key pops off. I was able to pop it back on, but if I hit the key on top, it pops off again. Is there anything I can do about this myself or would I have to send it to someone? And will this cause any other problems? Because if not, I don't really care, it's just kind of annoying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hi FrancineZ.
If you do not feel the key button "snap" back in to place when you put it back on, then the "proper" fix is to replace the keyboard. You could always try a slower drying glue as something like crazy glue may dry while you're pressing the key back on and get stuck in the down position. Be very careful to apply only a very small amount.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

I had a key pop off of my Toshiba M45 Satellite not long ago (my dog got a claw stuck under it). Shut the system down - then mash the key back in place very firmly (no need to use a sledgehammer at this stage! :thumbsup: As Hitsquad says, you'll feel it "click" into place.

If not, the slow glue option is probably the best bet - just remember to keep your eye open for the next time it falls off.

You'll pay a premium for service to fix this at a factory repair center. If you want to take it to someone, I'd suggest a mom & pop computer place that's been in business for a while and has experience with laptops.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, I don't bother turning it off, I just try to get it on and make sure to remember to erase all the extra e's that show up!

I do feel it click into place, but it doesn't stay. If I hit the top of the key, it pops off again. It seems to pop off easier tonight than it did a few nights ago.

I'll try the glue thing. What kind do you suggest?

Thank you.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Try rubber cement first, but I suspect that it won't last long.

Then try a glue for plastic that doesn't advertise "fast curing" or "fast setup"

Look for something that advertises it's strength - I saw some stuff named "Gorilla" something or other the other day at WalMart.

There's also a poly-something or other glue available that works quite well - I use it to fix moulding on my card (it's a clear orange stuff in a squeeze bottle that I also got at WalMart).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 FrancineZ

FrancineZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thank you. I'll definately look for it next time I'm out. The key is just getting worse and worse. I'm just afraid I'm going to glue the key down or cause some damage or something.

So this is a common problem with Toshiba's, then? A girl I went to school with had a problem with her Toshiba keyboard, but I don't remember what the problem was.

Edited by FrancineZ, 30 October 2006 - 11:36 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

My key problem was a "dog" problem - not a Toshiba problem. The dog climbed onto the keyboard - and when it's claw got stuck it just pulled it out (taking the key with it).

Actually, I really like my Toshiba laptop. It came with the features that I wanted and the price was reasonable. It's well-built and hasn't caused me any significant problems. The majority of annoyances that I have with it are because it's a laptop - and they're designed differently than a desktop.

Take it easy with the glue - use very little! It's better to use too little than too much! Too much will glue that key in place and make it unusable - so start out with the barest drop in just the right place.

You'll probably have to use a magnifying glass - but check the key to see what's broken on it - and then check on how it contacts the little switch below it. Poke around a bit (with the system off) so that you'll understand how it operates and what issues that you may encounter (for example, some keyboards have a round thing that the key snaps onto - and that fits into a square box on the keyboard base. Where the round moveable part meets the square unmoveable part is an area that you must keep the glue out of (so that it can still move)).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users