Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flood Pictures

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

We had a storm roll through here, yesterday and last night.
It started yesterday morning, about 11:30 AM, and finally quit raining about 4:00AM today.
In that time we got 15 inches of rain, which tended to flood the area around here, turning my yard into a lake.
I took some pictures, and thought I'd share some of them.

These 2 pictures were taken about 2:00 PM, before the worst of the storm hit.
This one is looking towards my driveway, from the front steps, and this is looking down the walkway, towards the rice dryers.
As you can see, there is still some grass visible.

The worst part of the storm, hit about 9:45 PM.
Talk about a lot of rain, and it just got worse, as the night went on.
As I'd said earlier, it finally let up about 4 in the morning.

At 6:00 AM, before the sun came up, I went out and took a few shots.
Here, I have the camera set up on the walkway, looking across the yard, towards the East.
Here's the car at the end of the walkway, on some of the higher ground.
Halfway between the house, and the road, on the short driveway, looking to the East.
Halfway down the long driveway, looking towards the West.
Standing in front of the car, looking towards the East-Southeast, across my yard.

I live at the corner of 2 roads.
The road in front of my house, "T's" into the road that runs North/South, on the East of the property.
I went into the road, at the end of the short driveway, and took a shot of the road, in front of the house, towards the "T".
These next shots, were taken from the intersection of the 2 roads.
A piece of the intersection, wasn't flooded.
Looking North, from the intersection.
Looking to the West.
Looking to the South.
Looking towards the house.
The tree in the foreground, is on the edge of the ditch that runs around the property.

About 4 PM I went back out to take some daytime shots.
The water had came up a little higher, by that time.
Across the front yard.
Another, across the front yard.
Here, you can see where the water has come up around the car.
Rice dryers, in the front yard.
End of the short driveway, looking towards the "T".
End of the short driveway, looking towards the West.
Standing in front of the car, looking towards the East, down the long driveway.
Looking East, across my backyard, where the water was above the tops of my knee-high boots.
From the backyard, looking towards the "T".
East side of the house, looking Northwest.
My rain guage before the flood, and after.

The worst part, about when it floods, are the clumps of floating Red Ants.
You DO NOT want to come into contact, with one of these.
Within a matter of seconds, they will cover you, and their sting isn't pleasant.
The little white things, are the eggs.
The reason the ants are blurry, is because the mass is in constant movement.
The ones under the water, are constantly switching places with the ones out of the water.
The Queen, is in the center of the mass.

Hope you enjoyed the images.
As of this time, the water is still rising.
It should start receding sometime, late tomorrow.
We didn't have this much water, when Hurricane Rita passed through. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 20 May 2007 - 03:28 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:14 PM

wow some cool pics,the mop over the fence in the one pic aint going to help lol.glad it wasnt any worse.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

The problem with the mop, was I didn't have any place to wring it out. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:19 AM

OMG!!!! tg1911!!

I'm glad to see you are OK. Holy Jeez what a mess. I'm sorry to hear about all that flooding. Thanks for posting all those pics too. WOW

Although it's not a lovely thing and I am not elated for you there (hehehe) I do appreciate you sharing with us your circumstances right now.

I hope those rice dryers weren't full! We're they? Hope the rice is ok anyway if so. Going to have to dry it some more if so I guess.

OMG! Those red ants are scary.. but at the same time I feel so sorry for them. And it's so sweet how they protect the Queen and try to keep her safe by surrounding her that way.

I'm stunned at the greenery there. It's very dreary and grey here now,and the leaves are all brown and almost all fallen now.

Thanks again for sharing. btw I love the color of your house.. next to pink thats my favorite house color. LMAO

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:11 AM

I hope those rice dryers weren't full! We're they? Hope the rice is ok anyway if so. Going to have to dry it some more if so I guess.

No rice in the dryers.
They haven't been used for a couple of years.

OMG! Those red ants are scary.. but at the same time I feel so sorry for them. And it's so sweet how they protect the Queen and try to keep her safe by surrounding her that way.

I feel sorry for them, too.
That's why I hunt down every clump I can find, and soak it with Raid.
Love putting them out of their misery. :thumbsup:
One of my favorite passtimes, when it floods.

I'm stunned at the greenery there. It's very dreary and grey here now,and the leaves are all brown and almost all fallen now.

Stay's green most of the year.
Very seldom gets cold enough to kill off the vegetation, ocassionally, but not often.
In fact, summer is usually the "brown" time of the year, due to the heat, and less rainfall, than in the winter.

btw I love the color of your house.. next to pink thats my favorite house color.

No comment. :flowers:

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

MOVE TO HIGH GROUND LOL

Wow I never saw ants like that. We have them in big mounds and thats bad enough.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

I love that pic with the High Water sign... like you hadn't already noticed...

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

Cows,
Normally, they are in mounds, but when it floods, they gather into a floating mass until they find dry land, or the water recedes.

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures, very interesting to say the least.
We've never had flooding like that where I live in England, I live on quite high ground.
I was in Edmonton in Canada when they had these freak floods though.
I was there visiting family back in Summer 2004 I think it was.
We had to abandon our house and move to higher ground.
I found these pics on the internet which was exactly who the roads were:

http://www.davidakin.com/assets/Whitemud5.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/bobjeffjoe/images/flooding.jpg

The strange thing was, it only rained for a short period, but it really tipped down.
The veranda in our house was pulled down by the weight of the water around it.
It was dead scary, so I sort of know how it feels. :thumbsup:

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Thanx for sharing that with us tg1911.Awesome photos!
I live in an area prone to mud slides and forest fires...so can kind of relate to your anguish.
Hope life is getting back to normal for you and the rest of the community! :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

The second day, after I posted these pictures, my yard was completely drained.
The roads stayed flooded for 5 days, after posting.
Everything is pretty much back to normal, now, except for a major mosquito outbreak. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users