Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wusb54gc Wireless Adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jorygifford

Jorygifford

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

This wireless adapter, upon installing the WLAN I believe, put or modified a .ddl file named GTGina in my system 32 folder. This file is causing my XP login screen to change to just a black screen with username:, password: box. no more fast user switching either. This is linksys's explanation. http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...hp?p_faqid=3536 Now I can not figure out how to uninstall the WLAN or whole setup for that matter. Anytime i try to delete something Windows will not let me... :thumbsup: Can anyone help me????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:08 AM

Have you tried System Restore to a date before the install?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jorygifford

Jorygifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

Yuppers. Its still there. Im at a loss. Ive googled the topic and i have come up with a few different possible solutions, but some i dont understand, and some involve opening the file. I dont have a program that can read a .dll file. Anyone know of one i can download??

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

Google for the last freeware version of Total Uninstall
Uninstall the LinkSys software using Add/Remove Programs
Reinstall the LinkSys software while monitoring it using Total Uninstall
Then use the Total Uninstall log to track the changes down and eliminate them one-by-one.

Be very, very careful doing this. Choosing the wrong file to delete can (as LinkSys warns) hose your system. So, make backups of everything that you delete.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jorygifford

Jorygifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:02 AM

yes therein lies the problem. Other people with this situation that just hauled off and deleted the GTGina file i mentioned, end up not being able to log in at all, or just straight up cannot boot... You would think LinkSys woul have a warning that this would happen. It doesnt cause any critical problems, its just the principal of the matter you know? Fustrating... :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Ever tried to talk to LinkSys support? Very frustrating, even if you can get past the accent!

But the web chat support is great for configuration issues - they have a great script to work with.

FWIW - I've switched to NetGear, it just "feels" easier than LinkSys to me. Others will also recommend D-Link.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Jorygifford

Jorygifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:04 AM

Yeah i tried the support line. It is, indeed, VERY frustrating. The lady drove me mad until I finally told her I'll figure somthing else out and hung up. She wanted to know everything down to my pants size pretty much. lol. But thats the same story with any telephone support line, that i have called anyway. Yeah im definatly in line for a new router as soon as i figure out how to get this one out, or get a new rig finished. Wich ever comes first.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

Have you tried add- remove programs and instead of removing tried change function. I am not sure if it there as have not done it myself. Then remove the Wireless Network Monitor software. I gather this is a seperate component to the drivers. Then enable fast user switching and welcome screen again and see if that works.
Like I say this is purely Guessing as I have not got the software installed.
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:55 PM

Try the online chat option for LinkSys support - it's much easier to use.

They follow a script - so be patient with them. Eventually they'll either fix your problem, or they'll refer you to a higher level of support.

#10 Jorygifford

Jorygifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, ill try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users