Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail File Extensions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

I know this is a very basic question but I don't know the answere.

How does one check the file type (extension) in e-mails. I know that you souldn't open any .exe extensions but how does oe check? My OS is wndows XP.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

Are you using an E-mail client such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express to read E-mails on your computer, or are you viewing your E-mails on line?

Thunderbird, for example, will identify the attachment at the bottom of the screen with the name and file type. GMail will show you the attachment below a line in the body of the E-mail; in the case of jpegs, etc., it will preview the picture (s) attached, and will provide the file name and type.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am just viewing my mail on line. I really want to not open anything by mistake that will harm my computer. That's what prompted the question. Do you have any suggesstions?

Thanks

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Whose E-mail service are you using? Almost any E-mail has a preview pane that will open when you click on the E-mail; if there are attachments, these generally show up at the bottom of the message. As long as you don't download them, they remain on the web and do not harm your own computer.
A good rule, though, is to delete any E-mail from either an unknown sender/ or from a known sender but with an attachment you are not expecting or not clearly identified in the message body itself as actually something from the sender.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users