Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet/email Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shell5

shell5

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

Hope someone can be of more help than my local ISP providers.

Had recently lost ability to connect to the internet and use outlook.

Get only to the "page can not be displayed" and get error in outlook.

Spoke with provider several times and after going thru all their fix it routines, they came up with the idea that I need to replace my just out of warranty modem and that was where the errors were coming from.

I found this hard to believe as I could get to the google page using their id number instead of address and all lights on modem were working.

I am running Windows XP on a compaq machine and after trying to do a system restore I braved it and ran "Compaq System Recover". This got machine back to as new like 3 years ago state but also got my internet connection nearly 100% recitified.

Outlook Express will only send emails and not receive, have to go to service provider web page and read my mail from there.

Obviously there are still problems, was unsure whether to post under this topic or to send a HJT log as I am sure I have got some nasty things lurking somewhere.

Looking forward to some answers after someone reads this long winded story

thanks
shell5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

After doing a factory restore, did you enable your firewall before attempting to connect to the internet? Have you updated your AV and used it to scan your hard drive for malware?
Since restoring seems to have fixed most of your connection problems, if OE is the remaining problem, double check all the account settings against those recommended by your ISP---sometimes even a slight difference will prevent OE working properly.
Lastly, if there are other problems still open after the restore, a brief description of these will no doubt help members determine their cause, or causes, by giving a clearer picture of what is happening.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users