Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct X

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamesgwilson

jamesgwilson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:02 AM

I'm kinda new here, so bear with me. I have recently bought Microsoft flight sim X and have it running quite smoothly but my graphics card is a bit behind the times. So i was wondering can i buy a graphics card that supports Direct X 10 that i know windows vista supports or do i have to buy windows vista for the Direct X to work. I'm still a teen so I'm not exactly earning, so what do you think is best
A. Buy a Direct X 10 graphics card and Vista
or
B. Keep XP for now and buy a good direct X 9 graphics card.

But i do know that Flight Simulator X runs faster with direct X 10, if you can help it would be even better if you could leave some recommendations for Graphics Cards

Thanks for your help in advance

ps. At the minute i have Connect3D Radeon 9550 256MB DDR graphics card, if you could tell me what kind this is too, I.E PCI, PCI-E or AGP, this will be much appreciatted

pps. I know this is a lot to ask but thank you, really thank you.

James

Edited by jamesgwilson, 27 October 2006 - 04:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

A few points to consider:
  • There are no DirectX 10 cards out yet. The first are set to launch in a couple of weeks.
  • You must have Vista to use DirectX 10, which will show up in January or February next year.
  • The first DriectX 10 cards to come out will be high-end and loaded with new tech, which means they will be expensive: ie $500+.
  • More reasonably priced DirectX 10 cards you might see next summer.
  • The Radeon 9550 is an AGP card, and I doubt there will be any AGP compatible DirectX 10 cards.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

Being on the cutting edge is an expensive proposition, especially with the new graphics capabilities---we are led to assume---of Vista. As with most advances of this type in gaming, it will take at least six months to sort itself out. I would certainly advise holding off making any major purchases until this happens and the prices of the newer cards fall substantially. You will save a ton of money, and end up with a combination that really works for games.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

AGP is dying - the limit on it right now (for nVidia) is the 7800 GS (I'm not familiar with ATI cards).

I'd suggest getting a better AGP card for your system (based on your budget). Ensure that you get one that supports Direct X 9.0c and I'd suggest 256 mB of memory on the card also.

But don't spend too much on it because AGP is on it's last legs - but your next upgrade will probably be an entire system upgrade (and you don't want to have an expensive AGP card laying around that you can't use).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

The best AGP card you can get a hold of nowadays is the Radeon 1950 Pro, which is about as fast as a GeForce 7900GT, but sits at the $200 price point.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Mr Alpha! I've been looking at ATI cards recently and wasn't able to figure this out!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users