Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Browser do you think will end in the long run?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Browser will win in the long run? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Browser will win in the long run?

1. Internet Explorer? (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Firefox(Mozilla company)? (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

Im sorry if I only gave 2 browser but these two seem to be top. Now Firefox has 12 million downloads Im pretty sure. I just looked the other day and it had 11,million something. :flowers:

My vote is that unless Bill gates can make his Internet explorer better and fast he will loose totally. Pc builders will be adding firefox to there computers from stock.

Maybe even HP,Dell,Alienware,E-machine and others......

What do you think so lets discuss this! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

I’m sorry but I feel that IE will be the final one, just because Microsoft has been known to scrounge the internet to find out what’s Hot! and if they aren’t it they start thinking. “who can we buy/crush” look at this Spyware removal idea. (GIANT)

But I don’t feel that it will be Internet Explorer at the final batch it will be Microsoft tho!

P.S. E-machine’s ARE NOT PC’s THEY ARE NOT!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:55 PM

E-machines is a pc brand??Junk but a pc brand...

I dont know I know what your saying but they will be close if not tying!

Lets just keep advertising for them....

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

Having just started using FF it would be nice to think it will win out over IE, but given the might of Billy boy and all his $$$$$$$$$ I think it's a given that he will win in the end........however it may not be with IE though !!!!!!!
JTH

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

The thing that gets me is....FF and Mozilla are Open Source
That means Billy & friends could get the code and rebuild IE,unhooking it from the OS and just create an update client that keeps the OS up to date and do away with Active-X all together.

Here's the link
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...-source.tar.bz2

By the way if you're not a programmer/developer downloading this will only waste disk space, but you are more then encouraged to learn what your software does. Try doing that with Microsoft programs.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:41 PM

I think FF(Mozilla) has too much of a head start on MS. Even if MS does get around to improving IE, they will ignore all non XP operating systems which will cut off half their user base. I also think people are getting wise to having a browser that is not a part of the OS.
If copies of a browser is to be used as a standard, IE will win since it is a part of the OS; if USE is a standard, I bet Mozilla, FF will eventually get half the market share if they keep up improving it and keep it patched.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:59 PM

You cant with M$ products? What would I see if I downloaded that? Code language?

Yeah well how can they stop microsoft from doing that?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:50 AM

As long as IE comes bundled with windows Firefox doesn't stand a chance.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

E-machines is a pc brand??Junk but a pc brand...

I dont know I know what your saying but they will be close if not tying!

Lets just keep advertising for them....

BLAH E-Machines are not PC's!
A hamster + wheel is a better PC than E-Machines will ever be if they keep "building" that junk they are!

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:06 AM

Yeah I know. If someone would put firefox on the thing from start then off they go. Im hoping they get at least 50% of the market.

#11 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:05 PM

Guys,

Here is a quote from onestat.com

In case you haven't heard, Firefox is rapidly gaining steam as a free replacement for Microsoft's own Internet Explorer browser. OneStat.com, which measures Web behavior in 100 countries around the world, reported on Nov. 22 that IE had lost 5 percentage points of market share in the past six months, dropping to 89% of browser users. Firefox and its predecessor, Mozilla, are up to 7.35% of users. The foundation says 7.5 million people downloaded Firefox 1.0 in the month of November.

and here is a link to a great site Wikipedia which gives the story behind the history and development of Mozilla Firefox,

Having stated in my earlier post that "Billy boy with all his might and $$$$$$ will win out in the end, but it may not be with I.E" - I'm now not so sure !
It's becoming evident that all it takes are ppl like us, (and in other forums), to spread the word about FF, then I think the results will speak for themselves, as they are already doing. Hell, you only have to do some basic maths to see that if the first 10m tell 10m then those 20m tell 20m, etc etc , then it's not going to be long before Billy boy and his cronies are starting to sweat a little.........and my bet would be they are right now !!!

As Raw states

The thing that gets me is....FF and Mozilla are Open Source
That means Billy & friends could get the code and rebuild IE,unhooking it from the OS and just create an update client that keeps the OS up to date and do away with Active-X all together

You can bet your balls they've done this already and are playing with it as we speak. They've got too much to loose, and the stats are already painting a grim picture for them.

Aren't browser wars wonderful things, especially when one of them gets it right, or damn well near right, from the word go !!! :thumbsup:

I bet there's a lot of :flowers: going on in Billy's camp right now !!!
JTH

#12 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:19 PM

I would same something about E-Machines, but I do not want to go off topic :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#13 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:38 PM

I'm changing my vote......FF all the way.
JTH

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

It's becoming evident that all it takes are ppl like us, (and in other forums), to spread the word about FF, then I think the results will speak for themselves, as they are already doing. Hell, you only have to do some basic maths to see that if the first 10m tell 10m then those 20m tell 20m, etc etc , then it's not going to be long before Billy boy and his cronies are starting to sweat a little.........and my bet would be they are right now !!!

The problem will be that of the 20m 20m tells 19m will already use Firefox.

Here is a quote from onestat.com

In case you haven't heard, Firefox is rapidly gaining steam as a free replacement for Microsoft's own Internet Explorer browser. OneStat.com, which measures Web behavior in 100 countries around the world, reported on Nov. 22 that IE had lost 5 percentage points of market share in the past six months, dropping to 89% of browser users. Firefox and its predecessor, Mozilla, are up to 7.35% of users. The foundation says 7.5 million people downloaded Firefox 1.0 in the month of November.

I think Firefox's skyrocketing is soon going to end, when the people who can, bothers, or want to switch to Firefox runs out. Then there are all those who use IE because they don't know you can choose or just don't bother to change from what cam bundled. Then there are corporate users who are forced to use IE because the whole corporation uses it because it works in tandem with all other applications. And with the Browser Wars 2 some people will choose another browser instead of Firefox or IE. Microsoft is also going to start marketing IE again.

To make matters worse for Firefox many people (I know a few) will rather switch browsers again to get more features, rather than download extensions, which is too complicated for them.

After that Firefox's growth will be slow, very slow, maybe even stop dead. And suddenly Longhorn comes out with a new and improved IE.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#15 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

The problem will be that of the 20m 20m tells 19m will already use Firefox.

Your analogy is somewhat correct Mr Alpha, but also I think mine is too.......look at it this way - 20m ppl wont just tell one person. How many ppl have you told (thats assuming you use FF of course).
I myself have told approx 10 or 15 personally, and just think of all the ppl who read these posts and others in other forums.

I'll re-visit the stats next month and post back here ......
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users