Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sli: Second Video Card Isn't Noticed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sion Sheevok

Sion Sheevok

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

This problem has been haunting me for nearly a year because I hadn't realised for most of the year that my SLI hadn't been enabled. I built a system from scratch at the beggining of the year.

Motherboard: A8N-SLI Deluxe (nForce 4 SLI AMD)
Video Card: GeForce BFG 7800 GT OC + GeForce BFG 7800 GT OC = SLI
PSU: Antec 550 Watt Output SLI-Ready/Enabled (Don't remember specifics)

Point being, everything is SLI-Ready/Enabled. Few months back, I realized SLI was not functioning when I tried to join SLI zone to see what it was about. Turned out my second card had been defective. Sent it back, received a new one from BFG tech. Tested the new one by itself, tested the old one by itself, both work perfectly. Test them together and the system never even notices that there's a second card in there.

Just for the sake of saying it, I didn't make any stupid anatomical errors. Everything is compatible, SLI-Ready/Enabled, there's enough power, both cards have power going through them, both cards are in working order, the SLI bridge is in place (I even tried turning the bridge 180, no difference, then swtiched the two cards positions, no difference), everything is set in the BIOS, the BIOS of the two cards are the same. Really no clue what to do, I've called BFG tech support, they couldn't figure it out at all and suggested it might be the motherboard. They might be right, but before I shell out the cash to get my entire mobo RMA'd... any ideas on what else might be the problem?

PS: Just something random and funny... the tech support people thought I was Canadian (I'm American) because I was really patient.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:25 AM

There is an ASUS EZ Selector Card on the motherboard which you need to flip from Single Card Mode to Dual Card Mode. You also need to plug a four pin Moleux connector into the EZ Plug on the motherboard.

Then you need to enable it in both BIOS and drivers.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Sion Sheevok

Sion Sheevok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

ASUS EZ Selector Card is set to Dual Card Mode. I have SLI enabled in the BIOS. The drivers won't allow me to enable the card. Four pin Molex connector EZ Plug on the motherboard... this I need to check... not sure what you mean exactly but it sounds like something I could have been over looking. I have power connections to both videocards, but I don't know anything about a power connection to the motherboard's EZ Plug.

Edited by Sion Sheevok, 27 October 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#4 Sion Sheevok

Sion Sheevok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

EZ Plug is plugged in, always was, seems that wasn't the problem either. I hope it's not the motherboard... because I sent this mobo in in January because the BIOS was defective when I received it, they tested everything to find that, they should have found if a PCIe slot was damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users