Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Momentary Black Screen When Clicking Nvidia Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sion Sheevok

Sion Sheevok

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
My system caught a trojan about 3 or 4 days ago. I've had so much trouble with... well... every type of harmful data in existance, that I didn't even bother to try and remove all however many thousands of infections the trojan had instantly downloaded. In any case, one virus got in, it disabled my anti-virus, disabled all my security measures, and disabled my firewall. So... transfered all the files I wanted to keep to a portable HDD, then reformatted the infected HDD.

ISSUE:
Fast-fowarding to a short while ago... installed Windows XP Professional. Installed Norton System Works. Installed nVidia GeForce BFG 7800 GT OC drivers, installed nForce 4 AMD series drivers. Restarted to finalize all that. At the "Welcome" screen, the screen goes black for a moment, less than a second, then continues as normal. All's fine then. Every time I click on the nVidia icon in the task bar, the screen goes black for a moment, then returns to normal and the menu pops up. If I click "NVIDIA Control Panel", the screen goes black for a moment once again, then returns. Sometimes the NVIDIA Control Panel pops up, sometimes not. I go online and download the absolute latest compatible drivers for both the nForce 4 AMD Series and GeForce BFG 7800 GT OC Video Card. No difference. Even tried downloading the latest update for the nTune program, just in case, for the hell of it.

I thought this might be due to Norton. Reinstalled Windows XP Professional, followed all the same above minus Norton. Same issue.

So... maybe it's Windows XP Professional? Installed Windows XP Home Edition, followed all the same above minus Norton. Same issue once again.

I have an SLI system. I installed the OS with both video cards installed, but the system doesn't even notice the second video card anyways, never did since the day I bought it, so it acts like it's not there, makes me doubt that that could be causing the issue. I'll post another thread regarding that issue as well...

Summary: Temporary black screen appears for less than a second everytime an NVIDIA graphics-related program is interacted with.

EDIT: I'm thinking this is a driver or OS related issue, not a hardware issue, thus I posted this thread in the Windows XP Home and Professional section.

Edited by Sion Sheevok, 26 October 2006 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Quite a few suggestions - not of them very pleasant!

1) Get rid of Norton! To replace it, use the following excellent, free apps:
AntiVirus - AVG Free
AntiSpyware - Windows Defender
Firewall - last freeware version of Sygate Personal Firewall

2) Install the mobo/chipset drivers first (before any other drivers). Generally, drivers should be installed in the order that they're accessed. For example, first should be the motherboad drivers, then the video, then the LAN or the Sound, then any other onboard devices, then any other devices plugged into the mobo, then any USB/Firewire devices.

3) A low-level format of the hard drive - just in case there's a boot sector virus.

So, I'd suggest removing the drivers that you've installed - then installing them in the order that I suggested. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd proceed with a repair install of XP.

You may also want to check your Event Viewer to see if there's any errors relating to this problem. Also, you can check your Device Manager to see if any devices are listed as being a problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sion Sheevok

Sion Sheevok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

1) Get rid of Norton! To replace it, use the following excellent, free apps:
AntiVirus - AVG Free
AntiSpyware - Windows Defender
Firewall - last freeware version of Sygate Personal Firewall

Yeah, I don't like Norton much... a bit over zealous. I'll probably keep Fix-It Utilities, it has so many more features and isn't such a bother. It just does what I need it to do, when I need it, and doesn't interfere. Doesn't fix the NVIDIA Control Panel issue though.

2) Install the mobo/chipset drivers first (before any other drivers). Generally, drivers should be installed in the order that they're accessed. For example, first should be the motherboad drivers, then the video, then the LAN or the Sound, then any other onboard devices, then any other devices plugged into the mobo, then any USB/Firewire devices.

Installed the Chipset, LAN, and Sound in one step, then installed the Video Card drivers after reboot, nothing past that. No fix :/

3) A low-level format of the hard drive - just in case there's a boot sector virus.

Tried a FULL level format of the hard drive, four times. Annoying too, takes... I don't know how long but definitely alot more than 5 minutes to full format two 150 GB SATA in RAID 0.

So, I'd suggest removing the drivers that you've installed - then installing them in the order that I suggested. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd proceed with a repair install of XP.

I'll redo this, just to make sure, though I don't think this is it since even different versions of XP have the problem and the drivers are, generally, in the order you mentioned. I'll try anyways, PCs are wonky, could be the slightest thing making it FUBAR.

You may also want to check your Event Viewer to see if there's any errors relating to this problem. Also, you can check your Device Manager to see if any devices are listed as being a problem.

Going to search on how to access "Event Viewer". Don't see it in the program lists, but I'll check through the Windows directory manually in a minute, going to have dinner.

This might just be a side effect of installing an OS *while* having two videocards installed. Although I can't get the PC to find my other video card for some reason...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:13 AM

Sorry, I was tired when I posted and didn't include the link that I use for Event Viewer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you tried to disabling one of the video cards (removing it would be preferable), installing the OS, then adding the second card into the mix? Each thing that we can eliminate will help to isolate what's causing this. I'd first try disabling it in the BIOS, then would go with a removal if there were some indication that it might succeed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users