Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anonymous Surfing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

Does someone knows one or more good applications to surf anonymously in the NET?
I would appreciate an answer.
Thanks in advance.
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

Comeon guys, is this forum the appropriate one to post these kind of questions?
If not, tell me what forum I can post it, please.

Edited by Darthy, 28 October 2006 - 01:42 PM.

Thanks John

#3 ao_tiger

ao_tiger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I know two applications, metropipe and TOR.

You have to pay for a yearly subscription to get Metropipe and I have been using it for over a year. It seems to do its job but was not quite sure. How do I know if I have complete privacy ? There is a way of checking your IP address and it showed up a different address to my ISP IP address. I am still a bit sceptical ??

http://www.metropipe.net/

The other one is TOR and a free anonymous web browsing. I have not installed in my computer until I check out how good and reliable TOR is. I am concerned about it stuffing up the OS. Appreciate if anyone has any experience. Is it reliable and also not slowing down the web access to a snail crawl.

You can have a look at TOR on the link below:

http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-win32.html.en

If you do decide to give it a try, please let me know your experience.

thanks

#4 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

Does someone knows one or more good applications to surf anonymously in the NET?
I would appreciate an answer.
Thanks in advance.
Darthy

Hi Darthy:

Try Torpark: http://www.torrify.com/

The other one is TOR and a free anonymous web browsing. I have not installed in my computer until I check out how good and reliable TOR is. I am concerned about it stuffing up the OS. Appreciate if anyone has any experience. Is it reliable and also not slowing down the web access to a snail crawl.

If you do decide to give it a try, please let me know your experience.

For fun I recently installed and tried out Torpark which is a sort of specialized version of Firefox.

It installed easily on my modest system and worked quite well although it's a bit slow to get started as it has first to establish a Tor circuit, and at times it's slower than the regular Firefox.

I'm pretty sure it does what it's supposed to do as, besides indicating in the toolbar the different IP addresses I was being assigned by the Tor circuit as I surfed from site to site, all of them different to my real IP address, the page ads that came up would sometimes, for example, be German as the sites I was visiting at that point thought I was coming in from Germany.

BUT! For Pete's sake don't visit your bank or try to do any online shopping at one of your regular stops while using it (I didn't but I read of someone who did) because they know what your IP address is supposed to be and when they see a different one they think they're dealing with a baddie and getting things straightened out can involve you in quite a hassle.

Possibly to help prevent that sort of thing Torpark has a handy Tor Circuit button in the toolbar that you can click to disable/enable Tor and switch into or out of regular Firefox mode as needed. So you can think of Torpark as basically Firefox but with that added ability to browse using a Tor circuit when anonymity is desired.

Cheers,

scratcher.

Edited by scratcher, 29 October 2006 - 02:25 AM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#5 ao_tiger

ao_tiger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:30 AM

Thanks scratcher for sharing your experiences with torpark.

It looks like a good one to have for surfing but not dealing with the banks etc. One good thing is that it has the ability to switch on/off torpark.

Do you find it too slow or acceptable when accessing the internet ?

#6 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

Thanks scratcher for sharing your experiences with torpark.

Do you find it too slow or acceptable when accessing the internet ?

You're welcome.

Yes, it is slower at times - though not overly slow - and I guess the slowness is the price that has to be paid for anonymity.

I also forgot to mention that there can be a conflict with Zone Alarm (free version).

If you are using ZA and forget to set access permission for Tor in ZA's Program Control it can crash ZA's vsmon.exe. In my experience Tor seems to run better with Sygate.

But I wouldn't worry about it messing up your system. Basically it's no different than Firefox and could in fact be run as Firefox except for when you wanted to enable the Tor circuit and go 'stealth.'

Cheers,

scratcher.

Edited by scratcher, 29 October 2006 - 04:36 AM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#7 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

I use IE6, but thanks anyway to both of you.
Regards,
Darthy
Thanks John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users