Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Folder.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

Ok, here's what happened. I had a program installed on my computer called Folder Access Pro. It's a locking program to put passwords on folders. I had one file passworded and then our processor died. We had to buy a new computer and install the hard drive on the new comp. Files got transferred over, but the file that was passworded changed it's icon and won't open as a folder. Instead, it opens the control panel. The pictures inside this folder are still there because Picassa can detect them. How do I change the file back into a folder?
BTW, I did try reinstalling Folder Access Pro, but that doesn't work.
The one who dies with the most toys, Wins...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

See if the following helps:

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

Right click on the folder and select properties, and see what the path for the file is set for, what does the icon look like?

#4 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

The icon looks like a notepad with a pencil making a checkmark, and the path is correct, although it goes to the control panel. It also says it's type is a folder.

I do have ownership of the file; I had to change ownership when the computer store put my hard drive in, because they didn't do it correctly. I had to take ownership of everything on that drive.

Edited by MuskokaMaryJane, 29 October 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

If you have access to the proper equipment, try this trick. It may or may not work - but it seems that there's nothing to lose here. I'd use a thumb drive formatted with the FAT file system if you can, if not use something with a FAT32 file system on it.

Then move the files to the FAT/FAT32 device. Ensure that they're gone from the NTFS volume (delete them if you have to). Then move them back. I think that this will force NTFS to reset the permissions on the file (and should reset them to make the current profile the owner of them).

The taking ownership of files thing is a bit flakey whenever I use it - and a genuine PITA! I've used this method (described above) in the past (around 2000) - but haven't used it recently.

I hope that this helps!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

I live in a town of like 4 people. I'm not driving 2 hours too buy a $40 gadget that I'm not sure is going to work. My file is a few GB in size, and I would need a large thumb drive.
Anything else?

#7 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

oh yes, and if I log into safe mode, I don't get a security tab in the properties of that file, because it isn't a folder anymore.

#8 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Anyone??

#9 MuskokaMaryJane

MuskokaMaryJane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:58 PM

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

Have you tried creating a new folder, passwording it with Folder Access Pro and dragging the files into it so you can use Folder Access Pro's encription software to open it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users