Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"data Execution Preventer" Kills Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tord

Tord

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:52 AM

Can someone out there help me with this one?: (Running XP Home at Athlon 64 3500+)
"DEP" stops my WinExplorer when I'm browsing through folders with pictures and videos. This only happens when I set "view small pictures" on, never when Explorer is only showing texts ("details").
I keep XP constantly updated, have scanned thoroughly for viruses and spyware, have run ram check, have run "sfc /scannow" to check system files,- but the problem persists.
To get around it I have set DEP "on for all programs except WinExplorer". This does the trick most of the time, but WinExplorer still crashes on rare occasions, so there IS something fishy here..!!
;o)) Tord from Norway

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

explorer.exe is not a protected system file - so SFC.EXE won't fix problems with it.

Have you updated your video drivers (just guessing here)?

After that I'd suggest a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Tord

Tord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

Thanks usasma/John!

I'll try to update my NVIDIA driver, but I hardly think it'll make any difference since it is small pictures inside the browser window - and not video that trigger this problem.

Is there any way of repairing just explorer.exe and it's "surroundings" (-what program does explorer use to show the pictures?) without doing a full XP repair installation? (-I'm quite reluctant to doing a full repair..!)

;o)) Tord

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

Data Execution Prevention
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2mempr.mspx

Do you have SP2 installed?

Beginning with Windows XP Service Pack 2, the 32-bit version of Windows utilizes the no-execute page-protection (NX) processor feature as defined by AMD or the Execute Disable bit feature as defined by Intel. In order to use these processor features, the processor must be running in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

The video drivers are (IMO) the most important and most vulnerable part of your system software. They are easily corrupted, and they affect everything that your computer does (because it's gotta show you what it's doing).

But, that being said, the video drivers were just a guess - because it involved pictures and their resizing.

A repair install isn't as "drastic" as it seems. But, it's a PITA because it takes so long, and then you've gotta go back to Windows Update and get at least 50 updates. Not my idea of fun!

But, it will leave your programs and data intact (whereas a full reinstall will wipe everything).

You can try extracting the explorer.exe file from your installation CD and copying it into the proper location in the Windows folder. But depending on the amount of "customizing" that was done to it - it may not even work then.

As you get further into fixing Windows, you may find that having a drive imaging utility will help you out a lot. With an image, you can "reinstall" Windows in 20 minutes (to the point where you last made an image). I crash my system quite often - but with the disk image (and a few other techniques) I'm back up and running within 20 minutes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users