Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareguard 2.2 No Longer Supported?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:41 AM

Hi All:

Does anyone know what's going on with SpywareGuard 2.2?

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

The Definitions Date in my program shows as 1/22/04 which seems very old.

But every time I click to do an update, after checking for updates it returns the message:

No Updates Available. You have the latest SpywareGuard definitions

:thumbsup:

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Taken from Wilders Security Forums (Javacool Software Forums)

LowWaterMark
Administrator

quoting: Stereo_Type link=board=34;threadid=13138;start=15#msg112632 date=1072107513]My question is, how come other spyware detection tools, like Spywareblaster and many more, update frequently, but SpywareGuard hardly ever updates?

Hi Stereo_Type,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that it doesn't need to update as frequently. Much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. They work for many of the newer versions of spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them. An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

SpywareBlaster's protections are all specific - target for target with no heuristics. It must be updated to stay on top of any new spyware items.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

I see.

Thank you.

I've been puzzled for some time about this but I guess that solves the problem.

Cheers,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users