Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Reboot Loop. Can't Access Recovery Console.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bakura82

bakura82

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

// STATS
2200 Mhz
2048 MB Ram
HP Pavilion dv5000
XP Pro (Single Boot)

// PROBLEM
My computer crashed during use. My wife says Firefox was the only thing she was using. "She did nothing abnormal." It simply crashed and rebooted. Since then, the computer is stuck in a never ending reboot loop.

// BOOT OPTIONS
[Start Windows Normally] The splash screen is shown for a second, the computer blue screens for half a second, and then the system reboots.

I recorded the blue screen flash and got a screen shot. The technical info I get is as follows (hard to read, but here's the gist):

*** STOP: 0x0000007g (....)
*** sptd.sys - Address F72D7784 base at F7206000.... blah

[Last Known Good Config...] Same issue.

[Safe Mode (all three)] Hangs on sptd.sys for a bit and blue screens. Give me an option to ESC but that does nothing. Still reboots.

I believe sptd.sys has something to do with a program I use called daemon tools. I have had it a year though. Not sure why there is a problem now.

// SOLUTION ATTEMPTS
[OS CD] It attempts to boot but then crashes during loading.
Tech info:
*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

[Another OS CD] Same deal. Slightly different address.

[Recovery Disk I made on purchase of PC] Blue screen again except I get a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

[Many DOS boot disks] Useless because I forgot you can't see NTFS in Dos... *sighs*

[MEMTest86 3.2 ISO] Well, I let the thing scan and it generated MILLIONS of errors during the RAM test. There is a good chance the RAM has gone bad. I am trying to get ahold of my warrenty people, but you know how that works...

[Ubuntu Linux Live CD's I have laying around] I thought maybe I could mount the drive and rename the file... but no. The 32 abd 64 bit versions won't boot anymore! CRC Error! Agh...

[XP Boot disks I made] I even put CMDCONS necessary for recovery console, but it didn't work... I will try this again later.

[Hiren's BootCD] Haven't tried it yet. Going to tomorrow.

// THE BEG AND PLEA
Does anyone know how in tarnations I can get to recovery console! For the love of pete, nothing seems to work. I want to rename that sys file that I believe is causing issue. I don't care how I can access it. I just need to get on this system ASAP. During my recent move (I am using my computer on boxes right now... not a desk), I neglected to continue my backups. It's been a bit and I really need to get my info. I can't even pay my bills. lol.

Thanks for anything and everything friends!

Esteban Francisco
bakura82@XXXXXXXXXX

Removed email to protect member from SpamBots. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 26 October 2006 - 02:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mihangel

mihangel

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:21 AM

Hi, i'm new here myself. Can't be of much help to you as i had a similar problem but could only resolve it with a clean install of windows xp home and lost everything on the HDD, there's a similar problem going on here in an earlier thread........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69411/format-problems/

Hope you can get your problem resolved..

Regards Mihangel

Edited by mihangel, 26 October 2006 - 05:22 AM.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

Sounds pretty straightforward, at least your first step: replace the bad memory module. Until you do that any further steps will be futile.

This assumes you only have one module. If you have more than one, remove all but one and run Memtest. Repeat with each module in turn.

It's very unlikely that more than one memory module has failed at the same time. If all memory modules fail, test them in another computer.

#4 bakura82

bakura82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

...but could only resolve it with a clean install of windows xp home and lost everything on the HDD...

Avoiding that at all costs. :thumbsup: Done it before and I simply don't have that option this time. I have material I need off that HDD. Thanks though.

Sounds pretty straightforward, at least your first step: replace the bad memory module. Until you do that any further steps will be futile.

I agree. In the past, I made the mistake of replacing an OS and formating when the issue was a memory module and I lost everything because I didn't assess the problem in the right order.

Thanks for the tip. I only hope this doesn't void my warrenty.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

If this machine is still under warranty by all means jump through the hoops, follow the procedures laid down by your manufacturer. If your memory has failed they ought to replace it free.

Even if you have a knackered OS you can usually recover the data from your hard drive before reformatting. Please post here if it ever happens again.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

We'll need a couple of things to narrow this down a bit more:

1) The BSOD error messages (STOP messages) are formatted in hexadecimal notatation. As such, they only go up to F before starting over. Could you recheck to be certain that the BSOD shows 7g and not some other letter (F or below)? Also, check further down to see if any particular file is mentioned.

2) You can search your hard drive for .dmp or .mdmp files. If you locate any, please go to this link and follow the steps to perform an analysis: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Then paste the results of the analysis to your next post so that we can have a look at them.

Here's a link to the second error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7f

And one to the third error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

Here's a link to the startup file sptd.sys: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd-13477.html

Now, combine this with the repeated failures to boot/access the system - and the MemTest failure and I'd suspect a hardware problem. With the memory being the primary problem.

Do you have more than one stick of RAM? If so, can you test them separately? Don't forget to 1) Unplug the system from the wall, and 2) ground yourself to the metal of the case (and keep holding it) before touching the RAM modules (I've lost several sticks by not doing this!).

1) The BSOD error messages (STOP messages) are formatted in hexadecimal notatation. As such, they only go up to F before starting over. Could you recheck to be certain that the BSOD shows 7g and not some other letter (F or below)? Also, check further down to see if any particular file is mentioned.

2) You can search your hard drive for .dmp or .mdmp files. If you locate any, please go to this link and follow the steps to perform an analysis: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Then paste the results of the analysis to your next post so that we can have a look at them.

Here's a link to the startup file sptd.sys: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd-13477.html

Now, combine this with the repeated failures to boot/access the system - and the MemTest failure and I'd suspect a hardware problem. With the memory being the primary problem.

Do you have more than one stick of RAM? If so, can you test them separately? Don't forget to 1) Unplug the system from the wall, and 2) ground yourself to the metal of the case (and keep holding it) before touching the RAM modules (I've lost several sticks by not doing this!).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 bakura82

bakura82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I removed the first memory module and my system boots now. Getting my warranty honored to replace the memory is the other trick. I have to send my computer away for three weeks just to replace a module... *sighs*

Anyway, does anyone know what causes memory to go bad like this? In the past I had some ram go bad also and I am curious if this is purely hardware or whether some software can cause some sort of corruption.

Esteban

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

There is not necessarily anything that caused it - or - it could be bad settings in the bios over-driving the memory, changing the voltages, etc. (although unlikely unless you are an overclocker)

Sometimes sticks of memory can just be bad - or go bad.

Before I sent the entire computer off I suggest contacting support at the manufacturer of your computer and see if they will just replace the one stick of ram that's bad.

If they will, it will be easier for you and cheaper for them.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 October 2006 - 05:45 PM.

#9 bakura82

bakura82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

If they will, it will be easier for you and cheaper for them.

Not a bad idea at all. However, my prob. got worse. Any tips anyone?

In the last week, while my system was working (with half the ram now), I was trying to consolidate and clean off my external hard drive so I could ghost/backup my machine and send it off so they can give me new ram.

Guess what? That's right, my other module seems to have failed. Is that even possible? Both in such close proximity?

I have been using Hiren's BootCD 8.6 all day trying to find a way to ghost/backup my machine so i can just send the thing to get repaired. Guess what? The memory module seems to be causing crc-failure errors even with these programs! I can't get any of the ghosting or backing up software to work. I CAN get file managers to work with my NTFS partition as well as my external USB mass storage. However, that is painfully slow. DOS based file managers take 100 times longer than anything to copy information. Just copying 30 MB took several hours. I have about 20 GB I want to save!

Anybody have any advice? I can't avoid the CRC failures. No ghost/backup software from Hiren's BootCD 8.6 works.
- I have used the first memory module to see if that one was actually good... it wasn't.
- I switched the memory to different slots and that still didn't work. I am pretty sure they are both bad (don't know how that's possible) which leaves me in a deep rut.
- I tried three different memory testors and they all showed errors.
- I chkdsk the drive and there are no problems.
- I tried to use recovery console to get data off, but I cannot figure out how to use the SET command because I need to change the policy settings and that doesn't seem possible unless your in windows!
- Also, do to long file name issues, copying in the file managers is proving to be inconsistent... *sighs*

Thanks for any help!

Esteban

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

I'd suspect that either the memory is poorly constructed - or that there's something causing damage to it.

Have you unplugged the computer from the wall and held onto the case every time that you went inside the case? Even one small slip can cause damage to the sticks (I've lost several this way).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 bakura82

bakura82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

I'd suspect that either the memory is poorly constructed - or that there's something causing damage to it.

Have you unplugged the computer from the wall and held onto the case every time that you went inside the case? Even one small slip can cause damage to the sticks (I've lost several this way).

I have a laptop, so I wouldn't call it a case... however, i was careful to ground myself.

Here is an update i posted elsewhere.

I can't leave it copying in the file manager. It seems I can only get the Volkov Commander 4.99 file manager to work right. While it is supposed to work with long file names.... it doesn't seem to. I keep getting errors where I have to hit OK or cancel because a file has too long of a name. I left it on over night and it got no where because a pop-up came up and I couldn't click OK or cancel.

As for slaving the hdd, I don't know how I could possibly do that -- I have a laptop (HP Pavilion dv5000/xppro, only a few months old).

I would get more ram, but I don't have the money. That's why I paid this ridiculous amount of money for the repair plan which apparently cannot be honored in Comp USA until AFTER the manufacturers warranty. So, I HAVE to send it off now which == KILLING my hdd while their at it.

File managers status:
[Volkov Commander 4.99] - works, but long file names don't seem to work and i can't automate this process at all
**[FastLynx 2.0] - trying now. seems to work wel, however, i worry about long file names... well see.
[Dos Command Center 5.1] - exceptions galore and aborts... doesn't work.
[File Wizard 1.35] - works WITHOUT ntfs therefore useless.
[File Maven 3.5] - crc-failure

THANKS!

Esteban

Lessoned learned = ghost/backup on a daily/wkly basis! man, after my move to arizona, everything got out of wack and i haven't backup up in two months... *cries* never again!

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

The big computer chains are limited in what they can do and when they can do it. That's the problem with big companies - they've got lot's of rules that they've got to follow!

So, does the Windows Explorer file manager work as it should? If not, then this would be a good indication that your Windows installation could be corrupted.

#13 bakura82

bakura82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

As of now, the computer is on it's way to replace the RAM and also fix two other common and known issues. Yippie. I hate when I invest in something that turns out being a problem child. All well, at least I was able to back up my info and I still have my wife's PC I can use.

Survey: In your opinion, what's the best and most cost effective backup solution? Currently, I have an external hard drive that I backup to. What software do you recommend investing in?

Esteban

#14 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:42 PM

Survey: In your opinion, what's the best and most cost effective backup solution? Currently, I have an external hard drive that I backup to. What software do you recommend investing in?

Esteban

I prefer Acronis over Norton Ghost which is owned by Symantec.

Acronis True Image 10 Home
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

I use a combined backup strategy:

1) Pointing all of my data to a second drive.
2) Using Acronis True Image to image both drives periodically to an external hard drive.
3) Using SyncBackSE to backup on a daily basis (to an external hard drive)

The point here is that, if only my boot drive dies, the restored image will already have the pointers to the data on the second drive - so it'll be like nothing is lost when I restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users