Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Is Not Accessible. Access Is Denied.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 de3de

de3de

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

I recently had to do a Windows Recovery with my computer. I have a 2nd hard drive on which I have backed up a lot of my files and such. When I go to use those backed up files on my primary hard drive I am unable to access these files because this error message comes up: "Folder is not accessible. Access is denied." I can't even copy those files to the other hard drive. I found the following article on microsoft's website. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us. I am guessing that it applies only to XP pro because some of the things it recommends doing are not even on my computer. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish the same thing with XP home edition? Thanks in advance.
Here are the steps. My comments are in purple.
"RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:
1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK. Simple file sharing is not even offered in my advanced settings
2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears. I have no security tab.
4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab. I have no owner tab.
5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
7. Click Yes.
8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

You will have to:
1) Take ownership of the files/folders
2) Then give yourself "Full Control" over the files/folders

To do this (in XPHome) you'll have to boot into "Safe Mode" (by tapping F8 as Windows starts to load).

Once in Safe Mode, you'll be able to right click on the files, select the Properties tab, and then select the Security tab.

At the bottom of the Security tab is a button for "Advanced", click on it - then click on the Owner tab. Make yourself the Owner of the files/folders by double clicking on your user name.

Then click OK to exit the dialog. Then, go back in and give yourself "Full Control" in the Security tab.

You may note that this doesn't always carry down through the directory structure. The solution is to do it manually to each level - a real PITA, but it gets the job done.

FWIW - here's an Access Denied HowTo with more details: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 de3de

de3de
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Thanks to you I have access to all my files that I thought I lost in addition to the files that I wrote about. I am so grateful! God bless you.

De3de :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

Not a problem! This is the result of my having the exact same problem - so I wrote down what I did in the hope that it would help others!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users