Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services Stopped

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 sevenlayercookie

sevenlayercookie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hey, ive recently rid my computer of viruses, and they stopped all of my services and they wont start again. they also removed the taskbar and stopped most of my programs running (Internet Explorer,Incredimail). I also cannot install anything as my Windows Installer service is stopped. any ideas on getting my services goin again? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

See if you have a restore point prior to getting infected. If so, attempt a system restore.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

Have you tried starting the services in safe mode?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 sevenlayercookie

sevenlayercookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

See if you have a restore point prior to getting infected. If so, attempt a system restore.

Ah, i dont use system restore :thumbsup: ... should i start?

Have you tried starting the services in safe mode?

Nope haven't tried, will do, thanks. Will that keep them started in normal mode?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

I don't know how you managed to delete the files, but if you did it with Hijack This, it makes backups for the deleted items and you may be able to restore whatever you deleted. Same goes for other security programs you may have used if you chose to quarantine instead of delete. I don't know what you mean by "I don't use system restore". Unless you have deliberately turned it off it is there.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 sevenlayercookie

sevenlayercookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

I don't know how you managed to delete the files, but if you did it with Hijack This, it makes backups for the deleted items and you may be able to restore whatever you deleted. Same goes for other security programs you may have used if you chose to quarantine instead of delete. I don't know what you mean by "I don't use system restore". Unless you have deliberately turned it off it is there.

I have system restore turned off. Yea, i did delete some stuff with hijackThis, but only suspicious one was 'scvhost.exe' (not 'svchost.exe')... is that important? i cant restore it cuz i ran hijackthis from a zip file and it didnt save backup... and some new updates, Windows Installer service is completely gone, not even in the list... this is getting better and better :thumbsup: . Just went into Safe Mode and everything is exactly the same. When i try to start any of the services, i get somethin like "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." Is there any hope left? thanks

Edited by sevenlayercookie, 25 October 2006 - 11:42 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

There's no telling what modifications that you made by fixing things with HiJackThis without having one of the HJT Team members go over you logfile.

HJT points to registry entries that are commonly "Hijacked" by malware. It does not point to the root of the infection - just to symptoms.

I'd suggest that you run this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

Then, go to this link and follow the instructions there for posting a HiJackThis log: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

If there hasn't been too much damage done, the HJT Team should be able to remedy it. If there's issues after they finish, post back here and we'll work them out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users