Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

I'd like to ask this question because I am wondering if it is something that I should be concerned with. I am using XP Home SP2 on an HP Pavilion desktop. Is it normal for the PC to "come out of" hibernation mode on its own? I ask because I have always thought that hibernation was power off, just with the memory written to the hard disk first. So I am wondering if this could be a malware problem. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

I use hibernation. The only way to bring it out of hibernate is to push the power button. I suspect you are not really in hibernate. Do you set hibernate by holding down the shift key and clicking on the standby button that changes to read hibernate?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

Thank you for your reply, buddy215. Yes, I do. The blue screen ("splash" screen?) clearly states that the PC is going into hibernation. Also, the power button on the tower blacks out completely, as opposed to flashing as it does when the PC only stands by. Also, when I resume from hibernation myself (by pushing the power button only; neither the mouse nor the keyboard have any effect), the "windows is resuming", or whatever it says, with the row of vertical lines at the botom of the screen, appear. I am looking forward to further advice, as I must admit, my lack of understanding of this situation has me more concerned than I wish to be.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Was this a one time event or does it happen daily or what? I know I have gone into standby when I intended to hibernate. Then all it takes is bump the desk and the computer is back on. I know of no way a desktop can come out of hibernate without pushing the power button.
If you would like, post a Hijack This log and let the experts examine it. Do not post the log in this thread but follow the instructions in the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

This has happened more than once. I made double sure... heck, I made TRIPLE sure, that I put my PC into hibernation before I left for work this morning. When I got home, the power light on the tower was flashing (the PC was in standby). It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway: There is no one in my house with access to my PC.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

There may be a solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

After searching a little further, the above is not a solution unless you are getting the warning. Supposedly that problem was solved with XP2.

I did read that one should occassionally shut down and reboot if you are using hibernate regularly.

Edited by buddy215, 25 October 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

I reboot nearly daily. I have no problems going INTO hibernation, just with the PC coming OUT of hibernation on its own. I've never received any type of error messages regarding this. I am preparing to post a HJT log to seek solutions there. I will continue to monitor this thread for other suggestions. Thank you again.

Edited by rlprlp, 25 October 2006 - 10:02 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

Once your system hibernates (not standby), all power is shut off to the system. The only way to "wake" it is to either push the button - or to have one of the various "Wake On" settings in the BIOS activate it.

I'd suggest checking your BIOS to ensure that something/someone hasn't enabled this in your BIOS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Usasma for pointing this out. After reading your post I went looking again and found not only the software that is used for remotely powering on a computer but some info for checking the bios settings. If these settings were not changed by riprip, is it possible that a hacker could acquire all the info "remotely" needed to use a tool as described below?

riprip---please let us know if the settings have been changed. A couple other questions come to mind--Did you purchase this computer as "new". Have you ever allowed remote access to your computer?

http://www.solarwinds.net/Toolsets/Help/Ad...Wake-On-LAN.htm

SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN: Saving time and money by enabling engineers to remotely power on network PCs at no cost.

Need that one last document to finish a project from the beach but thoughtlessly shut down your work PC? With SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN utility, powering up a remote PC is no longer an issue. This is accomplished by the generation of a ďMagic Packet.Ē When the remote network adapter hears a Magic Packet created for itís unique MAC address the network adapter alerts the computer to power on. If Wake-On-LAN has been enabled in the computerís BIOS settings, the system will power on as if the power button had been pressed. This is because when a device is shut down, itís network interface card is still receiving power, and keeps listening on the network for a magic packet to arrive.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

WOL (Wake On LAN) was what I was thinking of when I posted this. But I've also read of things like mouse movements being able to "wake" a computer up. Usually these are "enabled" with the different power states of the BIOS/mobo (the S1/S3 stuff that you see when changing shutdown options).

Yes, it is possible for a hacker to do this - but I haven't seen or heard of any instances of it for many, many years.

I also suppose that there are BIOS hacks available that a hacker could insert into your startup - so as to change these settings. But they would be limited to certain makes/models of computers and wouldn't enable the hacker to focus his attack to get something of value.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

How are you connected to the internet?

Do you have SP2?

Do you have a firewall other than the impotent Windows firewall?

#12 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hello all. Finally got a chance to get back online after a long day at work. I have checked the BIOS: Wake On LAN is disabled. The other 2 options in the Power tab are: After AC Power Failure > set to "Stay Off". And, XD > set to "enabled". on the right side of the screen XD is defined as "No-Execution Page Protection Technology". My internet connection is DSL through a modem provided by my ISP, Qwest. It is a package that comes with MSN. (The only thing I ever use MSN for is e-mail.) As mentioned in original post, I have SP2. I use ZoneAlarm for firewall and anti-virus protection. The PC was purchased new, and I have every option that I am aware of in regards to remote assistance disabled. Lastly, I have found a couple of events in the Event Viewer that are time-stamped when I was at work, and the PC was SUPPOSED to be hibernating. They say that the PC was not able to renew its address from the network (the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with Network Adress (bunch of #s and letters). Reason for failure: the action was stopped by the user. This is my only PC, and I am not connected to any network as far as other computers go. (And if I am, I sure as He** don't want to be!)

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Why is it as I read one of your posts I have the theme for Twilight Zone buzzing in my brain? (smiles)
I wonder what would happen if the next time you go into hibernate you disconnected from the Internet? I have an on/off switch on my modem that I use or you could unplug either at the modem or back of the computer. If you still have evidence that your computer turned itself on and it was disconnected you would know it was not from outside influence.

#14 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

That sounds like a good idea, buddy215. I may not get a chance to check that out until Monday, but I will try it. In the meantime, Just as a precaution, I have changed my login password from a simple word to a true code including capitals and numbers. For now, I will simply turn it off completely until I can check in on it within a reasonable amount of time.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Yes, it's my considered opinion that your system is definitely possessed. The appropriate solution is get a priest to come in and perform an exorcism! :thumbsup:

Seriously tho' - I've read that some NIC cards have the ability to do this (but haven't seen any on my own). On my system, the NIC is disabled - but it does have a setting to Wake the system. I'd suggest going into Device Manager and checking for this on all of your devices. On my system it's located in the Advanced tab of the devices "Properties".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users