Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Hi-jack?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sinding

sinding

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

Have I been Hi-Jacked? I have just reinstalled Win2k and have been running only a few days but things have suddenly started to go wrong. Certain sites which I could visit before now come up with an error message (especially some help sites) and I am thrown back to the desktop. Internet Explorer no longer appears in Add/Remove programs. When I try to dowload Ad-aware I get a 'thankyou for downloading Ad-aware' but with no download. I do have Zone Alarm installed but not an anti-virus yet.
Will someone help please? I will be most grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

You need to get an anti-virus installed and run a full scan in "SAFE MODE".

There are several good free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield (During the install, it is recommended to uncheck the "Security Toolbar" component) - How to Install, Configure, and Use

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
Note: If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.

Download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 in "SAFE MODE".
(This is Ewdio 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to this version which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware.) Be sure to print out the AVG Anti-Spyware Install-Scan Instructions and read the User Manual.

Then perform this online Virus scan: Trend Micro Housecall <- Use "Autoclean" and manually delete what it can't clean.
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

Thankyou quietman7. I will do that and see what happens. I will get back to you when finished and show any results.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

Your welcome and good luck.

#5 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

Well I had no bother downloading and installing SuperAntiSpyware. I had it give a complete scan of all HDs. It gave the result of 175 items to delete and 2 Trojan services. (I know what a Trojan is but not the 'service', anyway I deleted them as well) I will now try the antivirus part. Thanks

#6 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

This took longer than I expected. I had to go on the internet to find out how to get into safe mode (I had forgotten since it's a long time since I put the computer in that mode) .Then it took ages for each screen to update and when I finally got into safe mode I found I had to update AVG. I tried getting back onto the internet but I couldn't get the dial-up screen to appear. I left it for ages to see if it was just slow. I had to leave it then to come back later (now, 11-55). I have now updated AVG by coming back to normal mode to get back on the internet. I will have to leave the rest till tomorrow as it is too late now. Will report as soon as possible.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

Ok.

FYI: In post #2 I provided a link to a nice tutorial on using "Safe Mode" that you can bookmark.

#8 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

It has taken about 1.5 hrs to do a full scan. This was done in normal mode as I couldn't get AVG to run in Safe mode. I kept getting the message 'error Resident shield not loaded' and I could find no way of loading that item. Returning to normal mode the error wasn't mentioned so I did a scan, which has just finished. Their was one Trojan dialler found and deleted but it was on another drive and had no effect on my OS. As I am on Broadband I would not be affected by a dialer anyway, would I? Anyway I have read the tutorial and it was useful. What do I do now?

#9 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

Since my last post I have changed my mind. The disc I have Windows on is too small, I only have 500meg left and everything is so slooooow. It takes a whole 30secs to log on to my broadband where it used to take 4 secs only. I have decided to get a new hard drive and re-install Windows again. I cannot continue like this.
Will get back in a few days time since I will have to wait till Monday at least to get a new HD. I will still use your links to get a reinstall of the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and as well as Zone alarm will install them straight away, spending the mimimum time on-line before my full protection. Thanks again.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

Your welcome and good luck with the new HD.

#11 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi quietman.
I re-installed Win2K onto the 12 gig disc which was in my computer,and had the old flaky OS. I didn't know for certain how to reformat the drive so I just deleted everything associated with Windows. Probably there was a vestige of the old Windows in hidden files because I get 2 options in the boot sequence although, the first option is the only real one. The new installation works error free so is ok. I got the new disk, an Hitachi 200gig and have installed in the machine but the system doesn't see it. The diagram on the disk gives a setting of 2 jumpers for each option, master, slave and cable select. This is the first time I have seen this arrangement. Anyway as I said I cannot get the computer to recognise this new disk. Have you any idea what I may be doing wrong? I desperately need a second disk to backup my music. I have half of it on CD and about 12gig on DVD. I will eventually have the rest on DVD but it is going to take quite a while. I still have about 60gig to backup and am adding to it daily. Give me some idea please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users