Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.stration@mm Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackblack

jackblack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

I ran symantecs in safe mode to remove this virus. When I restart it pops up saying that I have been infected with this virus. Not sure how to get rid of it. Unless I format my whole hard drive and reinstall xp pro. Does anyone know how to get rid of this virus??

Thanks,
Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

Did you follow Symantec's instructions for W32.Stration@mm Removal? You will find it along with instructions under the "Removal" Tab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 angusg

angusg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

Did you follow Symantec's instructions for W32.Stration@mm Removal? You will find it along with instructions under the "Removal" Tab.

Pretty much tells you to do what jackblack did... I too have a PC infected with this virus and can't seem get rid of it...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:32 AM

Download the following programs:
AVG vcleaner
DrWeb-CureIt
Sysclean Package.
Virus Pattern Files (lptXXX.zip).

For the Sysclean Package do this:
  • Create a new folder on drive "C:\" ("C:\New Folder") and rename it Sysclean.
  • Place the sysclean.com inside that folder.
  • Extract the lptXXX.zip pattern file into the same folder you created for sysclean.com.
  • DISABLE your current anti-virus software. Some anti-virus programs such as Avast will alert you to a virus attack when running sysclean so it's best to disable them first. DO NOT use yet.
Note: When using Sysclean its best to use the Administrator's account or an account with Administrative rights otherwise you will not have the rights to scan some locations resulting in Access is denied log entries.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE" using the F8 method.

Scan with AVG vcleaner.

Scan with Sysclean as follows:
  • Open the Sysclean folder and double-click on sysclean.com to run.
  • It will take some time to complete. Be patient and let it clean whatever it finds.
  • Exit when done.
Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program.
  • An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear. Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start.
  • Click "Select drives" and then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) to start.
  • When done a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
  • A log file will be created in C:\Documents and Settings\username\DoctorWeb\CureIt.log
  • Any quarantined files will be sent to C:\Documents and Settings\username\DoctorWeb\Quarantine.
  • Exit the program and reboot normally.
Then perform this online Virus scan: F-Secure Online Scanner <- Be sure to follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation.
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users