Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Holytoaster4 Needs Help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

I'm just trying to boot linux on my dell latitude cs laptop from cd. The version of linux is puppylinux and i'm using an external cd-rom drive. Is this the problem? I need to know. When it does nothing i boot windows 2000 and it detects and and confirms to me that the disc was burned correctly. HELP PLEASE!!!
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

I think it might be the drive, try an internal one if you can.. I've got a feeling that it's because the drive can't be accessed as quickly because it is external and whatnot...
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#3 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

yeah i bought it off ebay pretty cheap and i doubt that the drive came with the laptop so it's probably not registered in the bios correctly. Also i have tryed it on an old hp desktop and it doesn't want to boot either though it shows up in my computer.

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

the md5checksum may be correct, but the disk may be crap.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#5 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

you're right that could be true but it also doesn't work for dsl linux which is proven not to be a faulty disk. I still think i'm doing something wrong though. Thanks for all your help.

#6 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

sounds like you have hardware issues, try posting on the hardware forums.

Is the external drive connected via USB? and what version of USB does the laptop have?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#7 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :) :) :thumbsup:
i don't connect it through usb and also i've tried it on my old hp desktop with an internal drive and it won't work. DSL linux won't work either.

#8 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

DSL won't work with the internal drive? Are you sure you're setting your BIOS to boot from the cd? Other than that I don't know what to tell ya..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#9 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

yes i'm setting my bios right to boot from cd though i might be doing something else wrong. The only other thing i can think of is that i don't have enough ram that might have been an issue with my laptop becuae i haven't added any but my desktop has plenty. Maybe the drive is too slow could that do it.

#10 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

leave your DSL in the drive and make a DSL boot disk off the website. This has resolved a lot of issues with this. It certainly would help if you told us the configuration of your computer.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#11 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

dsl can run with only 16mb ram so it must be something else.

#12 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

no i think that i have a bad disk or my computer doesn't recognize the cd rom drive as what i told it to boot from because it could not possibly be ram or anything else to do with memory or processing speed. I have tried to get it to boot using a floppy disc then swiching the cd. The results were it worked for the floppy disc part but not the cd

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

How does the cd work when you are using it normally? Whne the computers running do you get good solid performance from it?
I ask to see if maybe you have a bad connection or cable or even cd drive. Especially those portable laptop ones that are seperate, they get beat around a lot...
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#14 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

actually that is a good point the cd drive has failed to run empire earth and one time i was ripping some music off a cd and it came out wrong though i did it again and it worked. It would probably be a good idea to drive a different external cd-rom drive i think my friend has one

#15 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

Previous posts are correct about checking MD5sum and making sure disk is OK and that you're booting fro CDrom in BIOS settings. You should be able to boot from the internal optical drive if it checks out OK. It's been a while, but I had to alter the cardbus settings in the BIOS to get my Pup 1.0.7 to boot on a Satellite 335CDT, so check that out.

hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 30 October 2006 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users