Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message On Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 debbyz72

debbyz72

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

My computer has completely stopped loading anything. All it says is error loading operating system.
Yesterday the windows starting up logo had froze. I waited and nothing happened. So I rebooted. It came up with a blue screen stating something about error with memory and it was dumping physical memory. I figured that it needed it so I let it. It restarted on it's own. First there was the windows start up logo then it went black with this error message. I tried rebooting and pressing different buttons but nothing would work. I even tried putting the applications disk in and the gateway disk. But it didn't even recognize it. It just spun around then stopped. What do I do? Can I unplug the IDP cable to then plug it back in to restore itself?

Frustrated!!!!

//Mod edit to close BB code tags.//

Edited by groovicus, 30 October 2006 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

This topic was moved to the Windows XP forum where it can get the proper help. Please be patient until someone looks at this.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

There are several things that could have caused this. The Blue Screen error message is very important.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? Try tapping the F8 key repeatedly just before the Windows logo screen shows up.

Let us know and we can move forward with different possibilities.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

Please tell us exactly what the error message said.

What is an IDP cable? There is no cable that you can unplug and then plug back in that will restore anything. Unless you know what you are doing you can loosen other cables. Don't do it.

If you can boot to safe mode you may be able to use System Restore to reset the computer's system state to a previosuly working condition.
Can you boot to safe mode and when did this problem begin?

Oh, and please just use the default font as it is easier for us to read - that's why it was chosen as the default.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 October 2006 - 02:22 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Enthusiast I believe he is referring to the IDE cable. If you are take Enthusiast's advice and do not remove it.
Before this happened did you add any hardware or install any new software?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

debbyz72,
Before you do anything else, check the memory Sticks.
Take them out and clean the area with compressed air. Then reseat them properly, make sure that the locks are engaged.
Reboot after that.....
Another thing, if your PC beeps as it is booting up, note down the type and number of beeps, that will also indicate where the problem is....

Beeps are 2 kinds... long and short.... note down how many of each... and post here again...
Best of luck...

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

All good advice so far. From what you have written it appears to be a problem with the RAM memory. If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

One more point that I want to add is that the hard drive may be failing also. You need to run a test on the hard drive to see if it needs to be replaced.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Again all good suggestions.
Albert,
Thanks for the hard work on the info and the links... Guys like you can help a lot and not just throw ideas....
I really appreciate your input here.
Now let us see what debbyZ72 finds out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users