Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Data Searched On Entering Into Usa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/business...nyt&emc=rss

Guess we lost our right to our privacy, completely. Next thing you know, we'll be "vaporized" like in 1984.

Solution: I'd set up a boot-up password on my laptop, along with the Microsoft Data encryption available in Windows XP. Plus use some type of encryption software like (http://www.udel.edu/pnpi/tools/encrypt/win/axcrypt/index.html) for individual files.

You could e-mail the files to yourself and then wipe your hard drive with software and a big magnet. However the government (USA) would still read your e-mail.

I swear next thing you know, you'll be arrested for joking about the war in Iraq or joking about marijuana and you'll be "vaporized" overnight....

I am scared now...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

It's the USA PATRIOT Act and The New World Order. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_world_order
We have to live with these kind of things that scares all of us. :thumbsup:
I only hope Mr. Bush doesn't win next November elections. :flowers:

Edited by Darthy, 26 October 2006 - 12:01 PM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

We are selling out our Bill of Rights and cherished legal protections one by one "for our own good." You should be scared, Yano, very scared about what we are letting happen. We are throwing away what has taken literally hundreds of years and many lives to achieve in a matter of a decade.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 October 2006 - 12:19 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Land of the free is no more is it?

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

I want to go to Switzerland! :thumbsup:

They are the only country on the face of the Earth with "direct democracy." Source

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the link, it really does sound like a great system Switzerland has. Imagine! Politicians having to answer directly - and immediately - to the people and without waiting till the end of their term while hoping in the interim people will have forgotten or simply become complacent once again.

Perhaps a lot of the problems arise, at least here in Canada, simply because we don't know what to do to change things, on an individual basis.

Do know that if we ran our family finances or our small businesses like the government does, most of us would be declaring bankrupcy in no time! (And after all, although our governments often seem to forget this, they really are 'running a business' -the business of ensuring each and every tax dollar is spent wisely and based on sound judgement, just like in a 'real business' out there in the 'real world').
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users