Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard And Video Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ldd

ldd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

First, let me start by giving you my comp parts

AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ ( 939 )
GA - K8U - 939
1024 MB DDR 400 ( Hynix, Kingmax, ) (2)
256MB ASUS A9550GE
Lite -on 1635S
16 -Speed LG or Lite-on DVD Retail Box
Firewire IEEE 1394 PCI Card
1.44MB Panasonic FDD
250GB ( Seagate) 7200rpm SATA

I hope that means something to you experts, cuz it all means nothing to me unfortunately! :thumbsup:

When I ordered the computer, I just asked the guy who was putting it together for me for a good computer with good gaming capabilities. I really only play games on the side but I wanted the computer to manage a few now and then. The computer is primarily for work and internet usage. All was well in my life until my mate who knows computers quite well looked at my components and told me that both my motherboard and video card were basically crap and soon to be obsolete...gotta love his honesty . I know that I have had problems running some games.

It has been suggested that I should buy a nvidia 7600GT if I want a good mid-range card. However, I've also been told that buying a card like that compatible with an AGP motherboard would cost about the same as replacing my motherboard and buying a different graphics card. The suggestion I received was change my motherboard to a Abit KN8-SLI Motherboard - nForce4 SLI, HT2000, Dual Channel DDR400, Dual PCI Express x16 and add a Gainward GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3, 560Mhz Core Speed, Heatsink Solution, PCI-Express x16 video card to it. Or something along those lines :flowers:

I just wanted to know if that sounds like a good idea to anyone and whether it's likely to speed up/slow down my system at all?

Thanks for any info :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

I wouldn't necessarly say your computer's crap and obsolete. AGP has a bit of life left in it. But PCI-express x16 would be a good investment. A Radoen 9550 is alright for some games, but any new one's like F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion wil lseverly struggle on your card and perhaps not run. ATi and nVidia have pretty much stoped making AGP cards, last one was the GeForce 7800GS.

So a new motherboard and a 7600GT would do you alot of good.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 ldd

ldd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Would the suggested replacements parts be a good choice? I'd like to not have to replace the parts again for awhile after that if possible.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

You have a nice system there - it is not "crap"!

But, with the advent of Windows Vista, hardware requirements are going to take a huge leap. Also, the new technologies that are coming out make upgrading somewhat of a crapshoot.

As new technology comes out, programmers start programming for it. If the technology is a success - then eventually everyone gets it. If it's a failure, then it drops out of site fairly quickly. AGP is facing this problem right now. While it still can support most of what we can throw at it - it's on it's last legs.

I upgraded my AGP card not long ago to an nVidia 7800 GS - and it appears that that's as high as nVidia AGP cards will ever get. The development is concentrating on PCIe cards now (but that technology is still in it's infancy). Try finding a motherboard with a whole bunch of PCIe slots on it - it's not easy!

So, what to do? First, plan on your system becoming obsolete in a few years - technology will keep on growing! But that doesn't mean that your system is no good - it just means that it won't be able to take advantage of the latest technological breakthroughs.

Next, build for the future. Pick the technologies that you think will succeed and then get components that will let you upgrade significantly before becoming obsolete (PCIe is a great example of this)

Finally, down the road a piece, you'll have to decide when to give up on upgrading and start over with a new system. Personally I had decided that that point would be shortly after Vista was released. But then circumstances changed for me - and I find that now is the time to upgrade (for me, that is).

My reasons were based on my involvement in communities like this and my anticipated need to help folks out with Vista problems (so I'll have to have Vista up and running well before most folks). But also, I'm finding that my personal projects require more knowledge about the new technologies - so I've gotta upgrade for that also.

So, I'm going to build a new system within the next couple of weeks. I've got most of the parts picked out, but am still fussing over the little details. The specs for your new system sound pretty nice - but will they support you into the future? I'm not familiar with the AMD stuff (I'm an Intel kinda guy) - but isn't there a series of processors to fit the new AM2 socket? My concern here would be that you'd add all this stuff only to find out that the processor has topped out - and you'll be stuck with having to get another motherboard too soon. Maybe some of our AMD guru's can help out here?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ldd

ldd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

I'll take that into consideration. I would like to plan for future, since I'm not computer savvy it would help to buy parts that don't need replacing too soon, not to mention easier on the wallet!

Thank you for your thoughts usasma, and it's good to know that my system isn't crap :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

But mine is! :thumbsup:

I was set to buy a 975x board - then I found out that the 590's were out. So I searched for comparisons.

Then I found that the 680i will be released in November!

Arrrrgggghhhh! I want to build a new system, but just can't decide on the chipset!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

But mine is! :thumbsup:

I was set to buy a 975x board - then I found out that the 590's were out. So I searched for comparisons.

Then I found that the 680i will be released in November!

Arrrrgggghhhh! I want to build a new system, but just can't decide on the chipset!

I know, the computer industry never slows down. New video cards are realeased almost monthly.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 ldd

ldd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

lol, i'm fast discovering that when upgrading, the most you can do is make an informed decision and hope for the best ;) Technology moves way too fast for me to keep up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users