Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Build... Need Compatability Check

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

i need some people(s) to check my PC build...mainly for compatability... and if im missing anything? plz tell me :thumbsup:

Case: X-Navigator

Mobo:EPoX

Hard drive:Western Digital 320GB

Graphics card: 2x GeForce 7600GS

RAM: Patriot Signature (2 x 1GB)

CPU:AMD Athlon 64

PSU:XION Supernova 600w

Sound Card:Creative X-Fi

CD Burner:LG CD Burner

DVD Burner:LITE-ON

i plan to use SLI with this stuff so make sure that all the stuff is SLI compatable too...(i did my best...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

oh and where do u apply the thermal paste?

#3 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

u apply thermal paste on the cpu heatsink pad and only like a peasized dot.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hey there Slayer!
Mate regarding thermal paste, you will probably find that the paste comes pre-applied with new CPU's and HSF. As such you *shouldn't* need to apply it.
Regarding your components, they all look compatable. However, on advise (which I am going to take), I would look at a single card instead of SLI. The performance of a very good single card is better than two average cards. If you are going to go down teh CF or SLI path, you really need to spend more money.
Additionally, I note that you are not taking advantage of the new RAM standard (DDR2). The price difference is not that great, however the performance is greatly increased. The only problem is that you need a MoBo to support it, and that would mean going back and choosing again.
Your Case also comes with a PSU. As you are buying your own PSU, you might be able to get a better case for the same price, and not need to worry about having another PSU (although it is always good to have a spare).
The only other thing you could maybe look at is dual core (ie. AMD X2 or Intel Core Duo / Core 2 Duo) - this would also mean a different MoBo, however it is likely the Mobo for a dual core CPU would come with DDR2 support as standard...
Also, the is no requirement to have two optical drives. Most DVD writers (DVD+/-RW) will also wirte CD-RW, so unless your are duplicating alot of disks, there is no real requirement to have two..
However, all that said, the build is still good, and I reckon the fun of setting up and SLI system would be.....challenging...but fun. But bare in mind what I said about dual core, and DDR2 and also the single versus dual GPU. I hope that helps and post back your thoughts &/or results! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

i really dont got too much money to spend... i think the GPUs are good for now...ill look into the DDR2(i didnt notice it on the RAM chip lol!) and the dual core

#6 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

OK.. i think i got it now... i found a mobo around the same price with DDR2 and AMD Athlon X2 support.. and some RAM sticks... check it now:

Mobo:a better EPoX

RAM:RAM...

ok i did my best to check compatability with the other parts... i chose this one for $1 more than another one thats almost the same from EPox for the extra PCI, x1, x16 slots...lol

:thumbsup:

hope it works... :huh:

#7 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

I don't believe you can SLI with that card.

I'd suggest getting this instead, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130062

It's a GT so it's definately faster.

Also, don't get that CPU. Athlon is outdated now. Not worth it.
For only $20 more, you can get this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115004

An Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, a hell of alot faster than that AMD CPU.

You'll also need a new mobo too. and I would suggest you get this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128012

Cheap and very good. Excellent overclocker.

Right now, there is no reason to buy an AMD unless you're a hardcore fanboy.

#8 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

the specs and the pics for my original GPU all show an SLI adapter/SLI capable GPU so take a look at it again..i might use your suggestion for the GPU if mine is definantly not SLI compatable... and mine is 512mb each. both of our SLI cards use PCI x16 slots but your mobo suggestion only has one

would this mobo work for your intel suggestion and SLI?

an intel...go figure

oh and with this mobo do i need this ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227078

if anyone says all this **** is confusing ill post a revised list in place of my first post

Edited by Slayer6571, 25 October 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#9 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

*REVISED HARDWARE LIST*

all right ppl this is a new, revised list of all the stuff i would use... and more suggestions may be accepted

Case: X-Navigator

Mobo:the flame thrower of all mobos...lol

Hard drive:western digital 320gb

Graphics card: 2x GeForce 7600GS 512mb

RAM:shiny...=)

CPU:Ok... i never liked AMD anyways... back to intel

PSU:XION Supernova

Sound Card:Creative X-Fi fatal1ty

CD Burner:some LG...thing...

DVD Burner:LITE-ON DVD lightscribe

i am aware that there is a power source in the case and i do duplicate disks...does that answer your question JPHarvey?

im getting more excited right now... :thumbsup:

but i dont plan on building this til Dec '06 to Jan '07... my current piece-of-**** dell is only 1.5 years old and i dont wanna give it to my dad to use just yet...

Edited by Slayer6571, 25 October 2006 - 10:29 PM.

#10 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

I suggest you get this ram instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145015

OCZ has some compatibility issues with lots of the new Conroe mobos. Corsair has no difficulties that I know of and it's alot better too.

And do you really need that sound card? Unless you're a huge audio-freak, then there is no need for such an expensive sound card, or even a sound card at all. Onboard will do.

I would suggest, instead of paying $300 for 2 SLI cards, which by the way, are bad cards. Trust me, the 512 mb doesn't matter. It makes little to no difference if your overall performance. GT is better than GS. The card I suggested is better than yours, you have to look at the clock speeds, and EVGA cards allows better overclocking.

What you should do. Instead of buying those two 7600GS and sound card. Save up the $450 and get this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130061

This is cheaper and alot faster than your two 7600GS in SLI. And keep in mind, this is high-end GPU, the best latest and best Nvidia has to offer. Much better than your two midrange cards.

Also, take your sound card money and upgrade your CPU to the E6600, and this is also a high-end CPU.

Get the motherboard I suggested

Since you don't need SLI, that'll do for sure. SLI mobos are relatively new now and aren't that good.

Use those parts and you have yourself a high-end PC capable of playing any game that's out now at max settings, and it'll continue to do so for all the other new games coming out, except for DX10 games.

Oh! And get this case instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811144151

And this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817341001

There's no point in buying a case/psu combo if you're just gonna use a different PSU, waste of money. This is cheaper and the PSU is better than the one you chose.

Edited by Detox, 26 October 2006 - 12:24 AM.

#11 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

thx that helped alot...

how would a heat sink fit onto an intel mobo..i dont see a rack thing for it...

and that mobo link isnt working...suggest another one?

Edited by Slayer6571, 26 October 2006 - 05:58 PM.

#12 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

thx that helped alot...

how would a heat sink fit onto an intel mobo..i dont see a rack thing for it...

and that mobo link isnt working...suggest another one?

This link should work. This is the mobo I'm using and it's really reliable. And it's just excellent for overclocking. Also, the price is nice which is an added bonus.

Also, post an updated list of your specs and I'll check it over again.

Edited by Detox, 26 October 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#13 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

updated:

Case:the case

Mobo:GIGABYTE

CPU:intel

RAM:corsair

Hard Drive:WD 320 GB

PSU:OCZ GameXStream 600w

GPU:Geforce 7950+Hitman: BM

DVD:LITE-ON 16X lightscribe

CD:Some LG thing

#14 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

updated:

Case:the case

Mobo:GIGABYTE

CPU:intel

RAM:corsair

Hard Drive:WD 320 GB

PSU:OCZ GameXStream 600w

GPU:Geforce 7950+Hitman: BM

DVD:LITE-ON 16X lightscribe

CD:Some LG thing

Seems fine. Either replace that second CD drive with a DVD-Drive, or just don't get it at all. There's no reason for you to get a CD-Rom Drive this day and age. And you might think about replacing that Liteon DVD burner with something LG or Samsung, they tend to be of better quality.

Also, if you think of overclocking. Get this HSF...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835186134

It's cheap and pretty good. But it's gonna be a tight fit on your mobo. So if you do get it, be carefull when
you install it.

Oh! And don't forget to get fans for your case. Check to see how many fans it can hold, how many it comes with, and get as much as to completely max it out. Arctic Cooling has cheap and decent case fans.

EDIT: On second thought, get this mobo instead...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingRe...N82E16813123246

It was the SLI one you originally chose. After checking it again, It looks pretty good. And it lets you keep SLI open for future upgrades.

Edited by Detox, 27 October 2006 - 12:34 AM.

#15 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

""It was the SLI one you originally chose. After checking it again, It looks pretty good. And it lets you keep SLI open for future upgrades.""

that mobo is for AMD...so either get some AMD stuff or ill keep the mobo u told me about from GIGABYTE

and the heatsink... are those 4 stubs (screws...are they?) on the bottom for the 4 holes around the CPU socket?

should i just go with 2 of the LITE-ON DVD Drives?

Edited by Slayer6571, 27 October 2006 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users