Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smax4pnp.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melampus

melampus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

I get a window about This program, which freezes on shutdown. I must exit program to shut down. I am not sure what it does, etc. I have never seen this on my machine before in the 8 months it has been running. Running XP pro, ASUS mobo, P4 proc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

Unless you make custom sound configurations, you do not need this to start automatically. You can disable it using msconfig. See if that helps. If a problem occurs with it disabled, just start msconfig and reenable it again.

To start msconfig click on start, then run, and type msconfig and press ok. Then click on the startup tab to disable/enable startups.

#3 melampus

melampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the input on the program. Before I disable, There are a few other wrinkles, which I did not appreciate on the orig. posting. I was really frustrated last week, and have a better handle on my machine now. I can isolate that the problem started with the installation of the new Mcafee; yes Adaware is off, which was its own problem. Mcafee is successfully installed, but when I Shut Down, or restart, two programs will not end/respond.
SMax4PNP and RNotificationServicePollerWnd
I click end now for each, and I can shut down. Other than that the machine seems fine. But since I built it last December, It has been flawless, lucky me. I did the Mcafee install two weeks ago, had the problem above, then I went through a few restore points, which solved the problem, but it negated the AV upgrade(maybe Mcaffee was a bad choice). Adaware came back, I manually deleted it, and put Mcaffee back on. Of course the SMax and RNotif are back. Its a pain to see it come up every time I see it. Icould live with it, buI know that something is not right. I presume I could disable RNotif as well, if it isnt critical. Could Mcafee have taken over thaose programs? maybe I could get it to lay off?

Edited by melampus, 03 November 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

I unfortunately do not know what Rnotif are?

What happens if you disable Smax, does the Rnotif not responding come up?

#5 melampus

melampus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

I'm going to do alittle more digging on the Rnotification before I muck around. It is probably a windows ap, becauses of the "wnd" at the end. I try not to do more than one change at a time on the machine to reduce variables if anything messes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users