Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jblowfly

jblowfly

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hello can someone help. When I start windows XP the welcome screen comes up and that's it. it does not finish booting. any advise. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hello can someone help. When I start windows XP the welcome screen comes up and that's it. it does not finish booting. any advise. thanks.

Have you tried this?

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Do you have the Windows XP installation cd?

or

Can you start in safe mode with command prompt
(start tapping F8 as soon as your system powers on, before the Windows screen comes up)

#4 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

Thanks, but I've tried last known configuration and safe mode.Nothing changed, Before it happened I was running spyware scan when I finished there was two new folders on my desktop screen, When I clicked start my start menu cane up and it was empty(nothing there) I restarted computer and it wakes it to blue welcome screen and that's it. I do have windows installation cd, I don't know if i'm using it right.I put the cd in, restart computer I hear cd running but thats it. Thanks for any help.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

What "Spyware scan" did you use and what did you have it delete?

What are the two folders named that are on your desktop?

What exactly does the blue screen say?

Can you boot to safe mode with command prompt?

#6 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

I used AOL anti spyware and there was no spyware found, when I closed the antispyware I saw the folders no names on them when I moved mouse over them it said open, delete and properties when I clicked open it said I could change them back in the control panel, when I opened the control panel up the icons there were now folders with no names like the 2 on the desk top so I rebooted the computer and when it started up it goes to the blue Welcome screen and stops I've tried safe mode and last good configuration and it all ways seems to stop at the blue welcome screen.

#7 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

P.S I've seen safe mode and tried that, What is command post I've seen that also.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Boot your computer and start tapping F8 as soon as it begins to power up and BEFORE the Windows screens starts.

1.Use the up and down arrows to choose safe mode with command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

#9 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks I am shutting off this computer and I will try. I'll get back to you.

#10 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

hello, I started computer up- f8 to menu screen and selected safemode command prompt the screen went black,A lot of words scrolled buy( I saw the words driver and system32) then the screen said safe mode then went to the blue screen. The blue screen says windows xp not welcome. And I did not see anything to log in as system adminstrator or to type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Also I never set the computer up with system adminstrator, no one to use it but me. Still it starts up to the blue windows xp screen and stops.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

Try using the Recovery Console.

You will need to change the boot order.

To do that, you need to enter your bios setup as the computer first starts to boot. The key you press may be different depending on what brand of computer you have. It may be del or F12 or some other key. Look at the bottom of the screen when the computer first powers up.

You need to set the cd as the first boot device, ahead of the hard drive.

Once that is accomplished insert your Windows Installation cd and boot from the cd.

The following Microsoft Knowledgebase Article will tell you how to use the recovery console:
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307654

The commands you may want to use are Fixboot and Fixmbr.

#12 kurleq

kurleq

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I had the same problem recently, sadly it was because my memory was fryed. If you can try replaceing the memory and see if that works. hope that helps

#13 jblowfly

jblowfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, I bought this computer on ebay, came with all the disks.It was a fresh install and he did not install recovery console and I was afraid I would mess something up if I tried to install it myself, so in that area I am out of luck. Is there any other options or should I find a good repair shop. I think if I could just get to system restore point things would be o.k. Thanks. How do I boot from cd I've pressed f8 at start up and I've not seen anything that says that, I think I've seen it on my win98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users