Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Refurbished Things...vs Used Safe?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

I want to get a set of these speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=330042304421

Well they are refurbished. I have read many many reviews and have not heard of any being dead so should I worry about buying refurbished.

Well I could get them used but would it be better to get them refurbished?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

Well it's about 1/2 the price of new..any warranty?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

I asked the seller. I saw another seller who has it refurbished and a warranty for 30 days. Well this other seller has over 200k feedback rating but has so many negs about SLOW shipping and broken items along with no contact. I dont like dealing with big time sellers for this reason at least if they are on ebay.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

I dunno.. sounds pretty risky to save 60 :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Refurbished simply means that they have been repaired/fixed up.

Is there any guarantee offered?

I buy refurbished equiptment of many kinds and have only had a couple of problems which the sellers did take care of. No - I didn't buy from e-bay.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

"Factory serviced and Recertified products are items which have been returned to an authorized factory repair facility for testing, inspection, and repair, or which have been repaired by certified technicians."

If you were to get them used, you would know that they presumably work, and could ask pertinent questions from the seller. On the other hand, a refurbished product has, for whatever reason, been returned and theoretically repaired (if necessary); here you would have to have some trust in the reputation of the repair source (in this case Logiteck?) since you don't know the provenance of the item, as well as an understanding about whether or not it was covered by the original maker's warranty.

I would tend to go with the refurbished product, especially since they are speakers, as long as you had a decent warranty. Do earplugs for your family come with it or are you going to soundproof your room?
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 24 October 2006 - 04:24 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Ha ha...ear plugs...

Well I am going to look for a warranty. I wish I would have gotten them on amazon.com when they were 113.00 plus free shipping.

I am trying to find a deal online(not on ebay) with some sort of warranty for maybe a few bucks more.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Check out these systems. Hey, take one home, try it out, if you don't like it Walmart will take it back. There systems here for less than $60.00 and you save the shipping!!
Search results for surround sound system - Wal-mart
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

Yeah but I dont want a 60 dollar system...I have a 2.1 system already and the bass isnt that good but its better than the laptop speakers...

This system is for my desktop for dvds and HDTV...

Reading the reviews and my price range its a good medium sized sound system for the home.

Its 138.00 at Amazon. After shipping.

35 bucks difference from ebay but has a 2? year warranty.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

I found a site that offers 3 day shipping and its only 142.00 for it. Well its more than I wanted to pay but the people wrote me back and said they offer only 30 day warranty. Buying new I get a 2 year warranty. I think this is a better deal. About 18 bucks a year for a warranty...

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Be sure it's the THX Dolby 5.1 and not the cheaper surround 5.1

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

Yeah its the same model number. Its THX certified. The z-5300e is certified. What is weird is on the site they have two of these pages. One says nothing about it and its the one I bought it off of for 140.99

Well the other page is 160 bucks. Well it doesnt say its in stock. You have to call. But the manufacturer number is the same on both of them. And I check other sites and the same model number is there.

They dont make this one not THX certified.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 25 October 2006 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users