Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Post / Grinler Suggestion / Can Anyone Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marlon

Marlon

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 87345

I am a novice. This site was my first time posting. I use comfuser mainly for gathering info.

My comfuser is getting very slow. I have run several scans and HiJackThis, but because it has been so long since I ran HiJackThis, I will need to download again.

Problems found: Trojon-downloader-zlob / IOpus ActMon / systemProcess plus others.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I thank you and every other volunteer, who help us less intelligent. You can rest assured I will pay it forward.

Thank you very much,

Marlon

P.S. Every time I try to post new topic, it does not take. I then have to hit "Preview Post" several times then "Post new topic" again. Also it seems like after every third click or so it finally takes. Please HELP!!!

This post has been edited by Marlon: Today, 11:12 AM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

I would suggest that you run your resident anti-virus in safe mode and see what it can remove. After that, I would suggest you submit a HJT log to our team of volunteer experts who can help you step-by-step to remove any problems found in the log.
The instructions and preparatory steps for submitting a log can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Once any malware is removed, then our members can help you with your internet problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

John thank you for your suggestion, but I am computer illiterate. Olease explain how I run resident anti-virus in safe mode.

Marlon

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

At the top of this page, click on "search". When search page opens type "marlon" in the box under "filter by member name". Under refine search, click on the drop down box and select "30days ago and..". One the left side of the page select
"all forums" then click on "perform the search". This will give a list of all the Topics you have already started. Hope this helps you in finding your topics.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

To start your computer in safe mode, turn it on and repeatedly tap the f8 button on your keyboard; this will bring up a strange-looking screen with several options. You will want to choose something like "open in safe mode" or words to that effect.
What this does is to launch Windows using only the most essential parts of it, so other applications or modules will not interfere with your AV, and reduces the number of places where malware can hide itself. (Make sure your AV is updated before you do this).
Run your antivirus now in safe mode, and let it quarantine or delete any malware it finds. This may, in itself fix your problems- - - but if not, then the next step is to post a new HJT log.
Regards,
John

#6 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

Thank you very much, but when you say run anti-virus in safe mode does that mean the free ones that I have. All I have is the free version of spysweeper & AVG7.5 and zone alarm.

Also once in safe mode, how do I get the icons small enough to see them all. I have many icons on my desktop. Don't know which ones to keep/get rid of.

Marlon

Edited by jgweed, 24 October 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

I would certainly run AVG any anti-spyware application you have (spysweeper); ZoneAlarm is a firewall, so you cannot "run" it. Do not delete any icons at this time, since these are simply short-cuts to the files that startup applications.What we are trying to do is to let your AV run in the best possible way before we attempt anything else. Remember that you can always run your antivirus from Start/ All Programs/AVG/AVG Control Center if you cannot "see" the desktop icon. If you have AVG step up to run as soon as you turn on your computer, and there is its four-coloured box at the bottom right of your screen, you can click on that to run it.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 24 October 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#8 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thank you very very much, John

X my fingers

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Let us know if you have any problems. I may be unavailable this afternoon, but others will be able to help you.
Regards,
John

#10 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

John,

I did the scan w/AVG in safe mode. Here is what the scan said before I ran it....Resident shield inactive. When I clicked on change it said: Error Failed to activate resident shield.....Then after scan it said..Scan Completed. Nothing Found

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hi Marlon, click on this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Then find the 'pinned' link Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

Scroll down to the instructions for posting your HJT log. in that forum. Please be patient in waiting for help.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Thanks, Jacee. Now that Marlon has run his AV and it found nothing, it is indeed time for him to post a HJT log.

It will be very important, Marlon, for you to use only replies to that log, and not post any additional or duplicate posts about the same subject, since the person helping you will only look for comments as replies to that post. Additional posts with the same content only confuse people, and make additional work for those trying to help you. Remember, too, that people helping you are not always on-line when you are, and some time may elapse until you receive a reply. Once a HJT log is posted, then wait until you have finished working with the person helping you there before posting again in the general forums; following outside advice or making major changes will only invalidate the information in the log and interfere with log process.

Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users