Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get My Dell 8200 Dimension To Start?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 harleynh

harleynh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hi all,

Well as I stated in the topic, my Dell will not start up, I'll give a little background.

The computer was bought as my main PC and a short while (7 to 10 months) later I bought a laptop and hooked up a network using the Dell as my base station but used the laptop 99.99% of the time. One day I went to start up the Dell and it blue screened me and then after that I formatted the drive and re-installed Windows XP home. It backed it up and started up once but now when it starts up it gives me an (error) saying I think something about the PXE and a cable not plugged in.

But here is where it goes bad......now I can't get passed that even to re-install windows or format my drive and evertime I go into set up and set how it's supposed to start it does nothing still. I've tried everything from removing the CMOS jumpers and then putting them back etc....... I got it to back up one time (not sure how I got to that screen) but I got to a screen where I could go into safe mode. Now it doesn't even recognize my hard drive and when it first starts and says "IDE configuration" it doesn't seem to set it, it just goes to that error again and gives me 2 options to choose from, either F-1 or F-2 to set up, F-1 brings me to this same screen and F-2 brings me to the set up screen?!?

I cannot hit the F-8 or 10 key when starting windows as it gives me a keyboard error and shuts my keyboard down so I have no idea what to do?!?!?

Dell dimension 8200
256 RRAM "Romulas Ram" or something like that? (Think it was something new, I've never seen it since getting my pc)??
40 gig hard drive
cd/cdrw drive
floppy drive
N.I.C. card but is not set up for wireless like most are now.

Also when I had that blue screen problem I figured that my Microsoft Router I was using did not need to go through the PC for me being able connect to my laptop so I unplugged my router from my Dell and never used the network again just the router to my laptop from my broadband connection. I was wondering if that could have caused any problems that I'm having now?!?

Well I'll be checking to see if anyone has had any familiararity with this problem or any ideas on what I can do to get this damn thing started up

Thanks all.

Jim
Concord, NH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:10 AM

What I believe the problem may be it the computer is attempting to boot from a network server. In you BIOS (F2 at boot) you will have PXE in the boot order. You need to remove it from the boot menu.
PXE in a feature embedded on a chip on the NIC. It allows your computer to boot from a remote computer/workstation/server. This feature real has not application outside of a corporate setting.
If you press Exc at boot you may see the PXE process shortly after the computer is turned on.

PXE wiki
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 harleynh

harleynh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Hey Acklan, Thanks for your reply to my post. I think your right and went to the link you left at the bottom of the page and found the exact error code which is (PXE-E61: Media test failed, check cable.
Most likely the cable is not plugged in or connected. Could be a bad cable, NIC or connection)

I'm wondering if I can just take the NIC card out of the PC and try and re-install that way because I can't connect to that router any longer. Would you know if the NIC card is the same one as the modem card? I would expect that it would be the card where I plugged in the NIC cable when I first set up my network??

I'm going to try this later on today and I'll let you know what happens but you hit it right on the money. Thanks so much for your help. "I tried unchecking that in the boot order in the set up screen but it had no effect"??? Anyway, we'll see what happens when i take the card right out. Thanks for the help. Jim

#4 budershank

budershank

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

If you haven't deleted all your partitions then when your computer first boots up and you see the www.dell.com and a bar going across the screen hit CTRl and F11 at the same time and it will bring you to PC restore which is a ghost image dell puts on all computers after octoberish 2005. Takes like 10 minutes to do and all your drivers will already be installed. If you deleted the partition then obviously you can't go this route.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:21 AM

I do not believe you can remove the NIC from a Dell, at least I have not seen it. Dell uses an intergated NIC which is mounted directly to the motherboard.
The key is going to be in disabling the PXE on your motherboad, via the BIOS. PXE on Dells is contained in an onboard chips, which cannot be removed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users