Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Dvd/cd-rw Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer4me

zimmer4me

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:51 AM

I have what I think is a software problem with my old (5 years or so) computer. The Toshiba DVD/CD-RW no longer works correctly and I have been unable to determine when this first occurred. The PC was upgraded from Windows ME using XP home upgrade over 2 years ago and all has been fine. My system restore points only go back a month (not sure why that is) and I have tried a few different restores without success.
The problem is that the drive will read and play all DVD ok but will not respond to any cd or "see files" on a cd or cd-rw. It will also not play audio cd.
I had Easy CD creator 5 with the XP patches originally working ok so I removed that in case this was causing an issue being unsupported and installed Nero express from my home network's main computer's drive. Still no joy !.
What else can I do to track down what the prob is bearing in mind that I am not able to install software from cd on the actual machine
Help would be much appreciated as this is driving me nuts
Thanks
JK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Is this a Toshiba laptop with their DVD-RAM drive? If so, it could be the result of the Toshiba software turning off your ability to record CD's.

Try going to My Computer, right click on the CD Drive and select Properties. Then select the Recording tab - there should be a check box to enable CD recording (this is a problem that I have with my Toshiba M45 laptop).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zimmer4me

zimmer4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but that was not the problem (box was/is ticked to record)
I am thinking that it must be a registry or startup error but I do not know where to start looking.
According to what I have read Windows XP Home has native drivers for dvd/cdrom as part of the operating system so there really should not be a problem.
Is there a way to repair that somehow?
I have never attempted to repair windows XP home upgrade and do not know exactly how or consequences.
JK

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

The particular problem that I addressed was a problem between the Toshiba drive and Windows XP. It requires that one or the other be disabled.

Yes, XP has native drivers - and they will work (to a degree) with the Toshiba hardware. But there are limitations because Toshiba packed an awful lot of function into that little drive - it has to function both as a DVD drive and as a CD drive.

A repair install is simple to do - but is time-consuming and a general PITA. Here's a HowTo on it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The CD that came with the Toshiba should contain the necessary stuff to perform a repair install - just be sure that it's able to do a repair install (so you don't lose all your data).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zimmer4me

zimmer4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:24 AM

problem is its an old unbranded desktop pc (not a Toshiba laptop) and the recovery software that came with it is for windows ME and then I upgraded it to XP home. SO I dont really wanna try and go back that route again.
PS I also found the drivers for the dvd combo on dvddriver.com and that also did not help

:-(

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

If you've got the XP upgrade CD you're OK. You can actually install XP without upgrading by using a "clean" install technique (it'll prompt you to insert qualifying media when starting the installation).

Here's a nice free system analysis tool that may shed some light on this:
http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=d...langx=en&a=

You can try a repair install of XP to see if this fixes the issue: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

It's also possible that the drive has died. New CD/DVD combo drives cost about $35 for a decent one (I just got a NEC 3550a)

Other factors to consider are the motherboard chipset (because it affects the drives), and the firmware revision of the CD/DVD drive

Edited by usasma, 28 October 2006 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users