Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kurleq

kurleq

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

I got a new CPU "AMD athlon 64 X2 4600+" from a friend of mine who upgraded his CPU. it dident have a box but it did have a fan and heat sink and all that. When i took it out of the ziplock bag he had it in i noticed that there is one very very SMALL hair tangled in one or two of the pins. i tried to remove it but i doint want to do anything drastic in fear of damageing it. My question is will the small hair damage the cpu or effect performance if i leave it in there, also do yall have any tips for geting it out???

im greatful for any help

-Kurleq

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

try again... see if u can remove it with a tweezer or a wire. just DO NOT break a pin on the cpu or its as good as dead

#3 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

oh and i dont think it will affect the cpu much by itself but these new cpus tend to generate alot of heat...(remember this is under the heatsink) so i do not know what will happen

#4 kurleq

kurleq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

Cool thanks, I doint think theres much hope for removeing it with tweezers 'to small' i guess ill just put it in and hope it dosent explode on me :thumbsup:. Also i was wondering if trying to wash it out with rubbing alcohal might work

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:04 AM

I don't know if this will work either, but you might try using WD-40. If you go their website, it's kinda like the wonder spray and does a ton of stuff. Just let it dry before installing..
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

Do not use WD-40! It is a solvent, and will leave a residue on the surface that it's applied to, and the only way to remove it is with another solvent.

If the hair is so small that you can't get hold of it I wouldn't worry about it. Hair isn't normally a conductor and shouldn't provide a pathway between the pins.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

You really should get the hair out of there. While there is a good (IMO) chance that it won't cause any problems, there is a chance that it could do some damage.

I'd suggest using good static electricity precautions while trying to remove it. Also, a magnifying visor or glass and a very fine pair of tweezers might help. Air can blow it out, alcohol may work - but be very, very sure that it's completely dried out before trying to use it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users