Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security Center Warning?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jermaine4211

jermaine4211

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:33 PM

I am getting little popups in the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying different things like I have been infected. If I click on these popups it takes me to a screen that reads:

Windows Security Center has detected dangerous spyware and trojans on your computer!
Upgrade your antispyware protection to remove spyware and trojans from your PC.

Windows Security Center is stronly recommends youto install latest antispyware updates to remove spyware and trojans from your system and protect your privacy!

I am pretty sure that this is not a real Windows Security Alert (I don't think atleast), but I don't know how to get rid of it. I've had an Antispyware Soldier problem before which was similar, but a little different.

The only thing that I have tried to do is run Ad-Aware SE and that didn't help. So what do I need to do now? Just an FYI, I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computers. Any help you could give me is appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

Hello jermaine4211, Welcome to bleeping computer...

You didn't provide much specifics,,, So I'll assume you are using XP or 2000. Were there any messages, what are the pop ups? What AV and spyware apps do you have? Which firewall are you using?
Install AVG Antispyware then run SAFE MODE. This may take quite some time, an hour or so, depending on speed and infection How to start How to start Windows in Safe Mode

First go here and print out the instructions on install / scan with AVG

Be sure to check for the any updates to the program after you install these.
Download and run ( formerly known as ewido) AVG Antispyware 7.5

Following these instructions Download and run Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (with out tea timer option)

Download and run SUPERantispyware, free version Home User

Now Run Windows Windows OneCare Live
Be sure to click ONLY on the grey box below the picture of a wrench “Full Service Scan”
Again this may take some time especially it it needs to defragment the drive.
Please post back with any questions and results
Click "yes" to install any active X components these sites may ask for..
Post back if you have any further questions
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jermaine4211

jermaine4211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Sorry for not many specifics. Yes, I am running XP.

As for the messages, they are in the popups in the lower right hand corner in a yellowish bubble (like when windows tells you to update). The messages say different things, but the jist of them say that the System Protection Center has recognized that my computer has been infected and that I should update my antispyware security (much like the Antispyware Soldier problem I had).

Umm, the firewall is whatever came with the computer. I am guessing just an XP one? Also for spyware apps I have Spysweeper, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I'm not going to be able to get to your directions tonight - midterms need to be studied for. Hopefully I can get on it tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know how it works once I finish. Let me know if any of the new information I gave you changes anything that I should do. Thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

You may want to look here under the advanced tab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users