Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Standby & Hibernate Do Not Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Les Esling

Les Esling

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

I have a Toshiba Qosmio F10 laptop which I recently reformatted using the Toshiba supplied original disks to put it back into it's original "as new" state.

The OS is Windows Media Edition and everything appears to work ok except for the standby and Hibernate features.

When using standby it goes through a screen saying "preparing to standby" then the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. The machine will not come back on with a keyboard or mouse movement and the only option is to hold down the power button for several seconds until it powers down and then reboot.
Hibernate is much the same problem except it stops at a screen that says "preparing to hibernate"

I have checked all of the settings in the Windows and Toshiba power management utilities. I have also downloaded and installed microsoft update KB889673 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 but all to no avail.

I have checked the BIOS and there are no settings that apply to power management.

Help please!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

hi, welcome to bleeps

is powerconfig not working
all drivers Ok
more details plz

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste this: powercfg.cpl
- press: enter
make your choice as to which one and how long

Edited by fleamailman, 23 October 2006 - 08:44 PM.

everyday is a gift

#3 Les Esling

Les Esling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:35 AM

hi, welcome to bleeps

is powerconfig not working
all drivers Ok
more details plz

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste this: powercfg.cpl
- press: enter
make your choice as to which one and how long

powerconfig is working. This laptop also has a Toshiba power saver utility installed which you are supposed to use instead of the windows one. Both appear to be working correctly.
Drivers. I have checked control panel/system/device manager and found one item under "hidden devices" named "serial" that has a warning question mark next to it. I have uninstalled it and rebooted and it has not reappeared so all seems ok now.
But standby and hibernate still do not work.

Regards,

Les

Edited by Les Esling, 24 October 2006 - 01:40 AM.

#4 Les Esling

Les Esling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

I've now solved this problem. It was caused by having Kerio firewall installed. I've removed it and standby and hibernate both work.
Kerio has the same effect on my desktop pc but as I don't use standby or hibernate on it I've left Kerio on.
Any suggestions for another firewall for my laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users