Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing Restricted Files.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

To Whom Ever Can Help With This,

I recently found that you can find HKey files, that's nice. Now how do you
find all the other restricted files. This is for maintenance and knowledge purposes. HKCU and HKLM files for instance. Also how about the infamous
"Local Settings" on C:\\Documents and Settings\d\Local Settings\etc. "Local Settings is never found on the run program browse lookup. Where is "Local Settings"? :thumbsup: And what ever complete list of restricted files you might
have and how to access them would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Johnz414
Windows XP SP 2
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

There hidden for saftey. If you dont know what your doing you could "kill" your pc...

Hijackthis I think has access to some of those files but only if it finds the bad ones there.

When you do a search you can go below before you start and hit "advanced search options.

Here look at my screenshot:
Posted Image

Im sorry if I misunderstood you. Hope I got it right.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 19 December 2004 - 11:18 PM.

#3 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:30 AM

As cowsgonemadd3 has already said, Local Settings and many other files and folders are hidden for safty reasons. However, if your determined to view them then open any folder, click on Tools, select Folder Options. In the box that appears click on view and then check the small cicle next to Show Hidden Files and Folders. Now click on Apply to All Folders. Click OK.

To view Local Settings. Go to My Computer, Documents and Settings. Open your own Documents folder, not All Users. You will find the Local Settings folder and a few more hidden folders besides. Hidden folders appear faded compared to the others. Hope this helps, but be careful what you do in these folders.

Tony

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:28 AM

Thank you cowsgonemadd3 and 1up2down for your advice, that seems to cover everything that I was after. It's really more the curiosity of all that being on there and it always coming up in searches and virus scans, etc. and not knowing where they are. If I could do something to get a virus out of there or what not. So thanks and I'll definitely heed you warnings though and be very careful in doing anything around them.

John

:thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:49 AM

Your welcome anytime! Hey I forgot about what 1up2 said! I knew that sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users